« Business Section | Main | Journalistic Ethics »

Food Writing is absolutely delicious

I love how the leads for food stories says something that makes the reader’s mouth water. They are so different from regular reporting, much more relaxed and all about one topic: food.

Pioneer Press did an article on gourmet chocolates for cheap. The first sentence was, “Want to sink your teeth into gourmet chocolate this holiday season? Put down that $30 box of truffles and go cruise your supermarket's candy aisle.? It seems so funny and so animated to me; like a 50’s mom in an apron on television raving about how to make your roast chicken perfection. It seems too much to me, but I love food very much, so nonetheless I love to read about it. Although I’d much rather eat it than read it.
The article I read was still organized very well, having a good lead, information to back up her main point, price comparisons, and good quotes. All in all the story was well written and well formatted, it was just a very light easy-going topic; but that’s what is expected for food writing I guess.

The Star Tribune article was much shorter and to the point. The title was, “This brownie is pure gold.? And boy by the picture and the description I was hooked. The brownies the writer was talking about came from a local baker. The introduction was, “When baker Donna Cavanaugh calls her signature confection a "brownie," she's selling her work short. My friend nailed it on his first bite. "They're creamy without being gooey," he said. Exactly. They're also intensely chocolately, a mouthwatering combination of semisweet and bittersweet that's wrapped around Minnesota-made butter and a hint of almond.?
I don’t know who wouldn’t faint or run to the baker the second they read that. That writer nailed it. It allowed me to taste it in my mouth while I read the article.

Of course both articles provided pictures of the food they were talking about to add to the excitement. A food article would be nothing without a good picture to describe what is being discussed. Both newspapers gave great mouth-watering pictures that made me want to run to the store and get it.

I guess you have to be ready to start baking or have a full stomach when reading the food articles, or at least I do. Otherwise I’d be craving the food discussed so bad I’d have droll coming down my chin, no joke.