« Food Writing is absolutely delicious | Main | Headlines: there is an art to writing a 4 word sentence. »

Journalistic Ethics

On the SPJ website they stated the code of ethics they follow: Public enlightenment is the forerunner of justice and the foundation of democracy. The duty of the journalist is to further those ends by seeking truth and providing a fair and comprehensive account of events and issues. Conscientious journalists from all media and specialties strive to serve the public with thoroughness and honesty. Professional integrity is the cornerstone of a journalist's credibility. The SPJ website also says Journalists should be honest, fair and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting information.
Some ways to remain honest and fair would be to test the accuracy of sources, question people’s motives, don’t distort images, avoid misleading the audience, and never plagiarize.

I think the code of ethics for journalists is high but also very necessary to be effective. I don’t know of many other professions where they should follow such a high code, but it’s all part of the role.
I know that I and the general public don’t want to be lied to, don’t want to mislead, and want the real story and truth. We as journalists have the obligation to dig deep, do extensive research, and present issues and stories to people with full integrity. The general public deserve that.