« Newspapers losing money | Main | Everyone's doing it and that's the problem? »

I-94 Bus Crash Kills 1

The AP Press reported a bus carrying students and their chaperones home from a band trip to Chicago rolled over on Minnesota highway, I-94, Saturday killing one student and injurying dozens of others on board according to authorities.

Forty-seven people were on the bus traveling westbound 30 miles outside of Minneapolis when at shortly before 6 a.m. it rolled and slid into a ditch, said State Patrol dispatcher Tom Aspling to the AP.

The Star Tribune reported 43 students, four chaperones, a tour director and the driver were on board.

The bus was one of two carrying band students from Pelican Rapids High School on an all-night trip home from a four-day cultural tour of Chicago said the Star Tribune.

Tenth-grader Jessica Weishair was killed and two students were left in critical condition as of Saturday night the Star Tribune reported.

Rescuers spent hours prying students out of the wreckage. Some who were pinned under the bus or thrown from it were taken by ambulance and helicopter to nearby hospitals. The westbound lanes of I-94 in that area were closed all morning the paper reported.

This was the second Minnesota bus crash this year.