MDG reviews

After seeing the MDG presentations in both discussion and lecture, it's been brought to my eyes a) how much work we all have done this semester, and b) the honors groups presentations were a lot longer than ours.

with that said, I really enjoyed the presentation on Mali for goal 2 in my discussion group, as well as the honors group that had goal 8.
I thought that the group who had goal 8 did a pretty exceptional job considering it was such a broad goal. The way that they pinpointed the top goals and found pretty solid solutions for each was great, as well as there ability to address almost all of the goals as opposed to one or two.
the group who had goal 2 in my discussion class did a really good job of explaining the overall situation in Mali, as well as explaining their architectural solution. I thought they did a great critique of both their choices for addressing the goal, as well as the architects who designed the groups choices. I learned a great deal from their presentation, and I think that their images really helped to support their message.

Session 3 (4/16/2008)

I helped out a new kid today, Ben. I met Ben in the computer lab, where he was playing a bunch of different computer games (he was kicking butt pretty hardcore). After the computer lab, we went down and figured out what we had to get done, and proceeded to work on his math by counting out certain types of blocks involved in a building making game (contributed by previous Architecture students might I add) that just so happened to be Ben's favorite game. After we'd worked on that for a while we went back ate a snack, and filled out his end of day points sheet. I was told that I would be with ben for the remainder of the semester, so I look forward to seeing him next time.

Session 2 (3/19/2008)

I helped out Sofia again, we worked on homework, math in particular. We played a few games, and had a delicious snack of cookies, snack bars, and juice. I think it went much better this time because I knew the person already, and I was more relaxed because I knew what to expect. I hope it goes as well next time.

...and out come the wolves

well here is my meager attempt at a cover page using word.

Continue reading "...and out come the wolves" »

ideas...anyone?

As far as I can tell this blog is just supposed to involve ideas/images that may or may not be what our actual presentation looks like/involves? if this blog is getting at anything else, it's gone over my head so dont expect it to be answered here...sorry.
with that disclaimer in place, here are a few ideas I had for project:

Continue reading "ideas...anyone?" »

weaaak

...

Continue reading "weaaak" »

Session 1

I volunteered at Homework-n-Hoops, run by the Bethlehem Community Center. I tutored a girl named Sofia, and helped her work on her math (multiplication). We played ping pong earlier in the day, and while working on her math, had a snack. I thought it went really well, we got a long great, and she told me that she like me as a tutor because I made things fun. I think next time would be even better if I was partnered up with the same person, or if I was a little more talkative right away.

the worlds greatest blog entry - part deux

If I was released from the architecture program, I cant say my life would be sent into an immediate downward spiral that resulted in myself losing my job, family, friends, and ultimately my life. No, I really dont think much would be affected, but for the sake of a blog entry, I'll humor myself (by myself I mean my TA and Ozayr) and write what will soon be known as "the worlds greatest blog entry - part deux"

Continue reading "the worlds greatest blog entry - part deux" »

music doesn't make the world go round

Playlist: -Down in the Dumps-
Bobby James - N.E.R.D.
Mardy Bum - Arctic Monkeys
Vampires - Atmosphere
April 29, 1992 - Sublime
With a Little Help From My Friends - The Beatles
Eleanor Rigby - The Beatles
Stayin' Alive - The Bee Gees
Song for the Dumped - Ben Folds Five
Wild World - Cat Stevens
Police and Thieves - The Clash
Fortunate Son - CCR
Hit Rock Bottom - The Dandy Warhols
Pass the Dutchie - Musical Youth
People Are Strange - The Doors
Times Like These - Foo Fighters

Continue reading "music doesn't make the world go round" »

the design of pollution

Throughout the the Twin Cities' there are many social design issues that require both the thoughts and attention of problem solvers everywhere. However the most influential of all the social design issues would have to be the air pollution not only throughout the cities, but throughout the U.S., North America, and the rest of the world. Over the past few years there has been a steadily increasing trend in more eco-friendly cars as well as more environmentally friendly ways to get through your average day. We've seen some of these methods instituted throughout the cities already (i.e. the lightrail, bike lanes, tunnels/skyways, the public bus system, taxi companies, etc.), and while they've done a great deal to decrease the amount of chemicle emmissions given off from our vehicles, theres still more to the issue than just transportation.

For the most part, i'm pretty sure no one's every gotten an e-mail advising people to stay inside due to the trash level outside, which is perfectly reasonable. However this doesnt mean that one form of pollution is necessarily worse than another. Sure air pollution affects everyone, which is why we've started to take action against it, but trash and overall land pollution is almost if not an even bigger issue. I've been to a fairly large portion of the country, and the one similarity between each state is the amount of trash. There hasnt been one state that's extrememly clean, just like I havent noticed a state thats perticularly dirty. I have heard however, more air pollution warnings in certain states than others, which is understandable when you take into account the population size as well as the number of large cities in the state. For this reason I say we shift our focus (not entirely, that would be stupid) from air pollution towards land pollution. If we can prevent the pollution of Earths ecosystem on land first, our job of cleaning up earths atmosphere will be considerably easier. It doesnt take much, if you see a wrapper on the ground, pick it up. If you've got an empty wrapper in your hand, hold onto it and throw it into a trash can (theres plenty of convenient locations all over the U of M campus). A few pieces of trash picked off the ground by everyone in the Twin Cities, would equal out to be quite a bit of trash not on the ground, and I think we can all take a sigh of relief knowing that our planet will crap out a few years later than previously expected :)

photo 1: http://photobucket.com/mediadetail/?media=http%3A%2F%2Fi51.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Ff377%2Fgravediger%2Ficons%2Fair-pollution-systems.jpg&searchTerm=air%20pollution&pageOffset=3

Photo 2: http://photobucket.com/mediadetail/?media=http%3A%2F%2Fi204.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb123%2FFishergirl-Kelly%2FIMG_1863.jpg&searchTerm=picking%20up%20trash&pageOffset=8

Photo 3: http://photobucket.com/mediadetail/?media=http%3A%2F%2Fi101.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fm49%2Fburndog6%2FMinneapolis.jpg&searchTerm=minneapolis&pageOffset=2

flow of the streets

I feel that Goldsworthy's idea of energy, flow and transformation is very present throughout the city, however it doesnt occur in the same ways that Goldsworthys artwork occurs, and I dont think it looks nearly as incredible either. The idea of energy, flow and transformation i feel can all be attributed towards humans,where in this case humans represent the energy that flows throughout the city taking its toll on whatever he/she/it touches. This change that is cause could be either good or bad depending on the person, but regardless of what the result is, ultimately the change that all of the energy (people) in the cities cause affects the overall flow of the cities themselves. If more people travel to a certain area of the cities, obviously theres going to be more erosion, and therefor more transformation. This transformation might not always be something like the erosion of a sidewalk or street, for example a certain area of the city might transform into a park for children to play in which I should think counts as an improvement. Overall energy flow and transformation are found all throughout the city, but in most cases they are caused by humans themselves, whether it's trash left on teh ground, pot holes on the street, or worn down curbs humans use there energy to transform there surroundings in such a way that the city seems to flow in quality throughout time.