« FCC Plan Would Ease Regulations on Media Owners | Main | On event coverage »

Suicidal boy, 15, fires 100 shots in police standoff

A standoff between an armed teenage boy and police ended without serious injury Saturday morning after the suicidal boy fired about 100 shots in a home in Hudson, Wis.
The standoff began about 9 p.m. Friday in an upscale neighborhood about five miles south of Hudson, according to the Pioneer Press.
After his parents left to see a movie, the 15-year-old boy called a couple of his friends and made suicidal threats, said St. Croix County Sheriff Dennis Hillstead, who declined to name the boy. The ninth-grader was alone in the house when he called his friends.
The friends called police after hearing gunshots in the background.
When officers arrived at the house, they also heard shots being fired from inside the home, Hillstead said. Police took shelter and called for reinforcements as a precaution. Several nearby homes were evacuated.
Police contacted the youth by having his friends call the house, Hillstead said. Officers convinced him to surrender about 12:30 a.m.
The teenager likely will face felony charges for reckless endangerment and criminal damage to property, Hillstead said.
The standoff lasted more than three hours, while the boy fired shots from inside the house. He was armed with two shotguns, a .22-caliber pistol and plenty of ammunition, according to the sheriff’s office.
Of the 100 or so shots fired, police believe 30 to 50 went through the home’s windows, although none of the neighboring homes were hit.
Officers did not return fire.
The shots caused extensive damage to the interior of the home and shattered most of the main floor windows. A damage estimate was not available Saturday.
Paramedics rushed the teenager to Hudson Hospital after officers discovered he had cuts on both his hand and feet. He was later transferred to the Mendota Mental Health Institute in Madison, Wis., for a 72-hour emergency hold for mental evaluation.

The Pioneer Press: