the creativity of spammers

The subjects of spam have been catching my eye for awhile. They are always so random. I wonder if there is a method, or just the spammer's perogative.

a few of today's examples:

go complain on gusset pinewood

and fill so idolater

nosology planetable

it's the beginnings of a great piece of something....
Posted by wood0072 at 11:08 AM

Stefans and me.

I've noticed in these essays that the stringency of most academic writing is loosened. Two years ago, I may not have noticed all of the statements that get by without proof or qualification, but now, two years back into academia, that's all I can see. I used to know some one who published his own essays on line in his self-started and edited journal, and he never cited any references, except to maybe list a couple of books he'd read at the end. I was surprised because he had a master's degree. Was he lax with his citations because it he was putting it on the web? He was the sole editor and publisher of a journal that could be used as a reference in research, but he never properly credited ideas or information that was not originally his.

Because knowledge and information is commoditized, this is an important aspect all ideas. Yes, we know things in relation to other things, but it's interesting to think about where the line is between general knowledge and copyrighted knowledge. Regarding Stefans' essay, I'm noticing jargon-like language and plenty of speculative idea hopping, but not a lot of real substance. I also noticed a lot of vague words like "relatively, my sense is...,tendency, sort of, often, more so than, seems, doesn't appear to be" which can make it difficult to find an explicit statement in any of it. It's rich with ideas, but travels quickly through them. I noticed this in part, because I am often told of this tendency toward in my own writing. I was surprised as a new graduate student by how cut-throat hgher ed. really is. They want you to say exactly what you mean with no slippery loop-holes built into the text. If there is a gray area, they want you to map it out.

Perhaps this kind of scholarly fitness becomes a fierce instinct: destroy what you read (of course, I'm being hyperbolic here.) Have I forgotten how to read with a generous spirit in the edit and be edited world of scholarship? I'm not commenting so much on the content of Stefans article as the context, I guess. This is another issue I've had to tackle in academia. Writing in the correct form so that you can be understood. I still need work on it, but I look back on my writing from two years ago, and I'm glad to see that I've made some progress. I think. I hope.

Oh, and when he says that putting the words JUSTICE and FISH FRY together render them both "relatively banal and entirely meaningless in terms of meaning," and more "material." I understand what he's trying to say, but actually, for me, the two words together conjure up a colorful variety meanings and ideas.

I will at this time, post my big, fat, all-encompassing, end-of-semester, oh-crap-it's-the-holidays-already, my-brain-is-fried disclaimer against any inconsistencies or what-the-hell-is-she-talking-about-ness in any of my entries. may the great spirit bless ya and bestow thee with a reservoir of genius and efficiency during this end of the semester season~*.....an' brace ye self for a veritable bludgeoning of christmas carols by top 40 and soft rock industry singers. peace out.
Posted by wood0072 at 5:01 PM

A Blog and dagger operation

I'm often behind on my newspaper reading. I get the Sunday Times, but it can be a week or two later before I actually get around to reading some it.

Yesterday I read an article that is very interesting in light of the fact that the U.S. soldier, Daniel, who wrote my Iraq buddy blog, got shutdown by our military.

The article, from last Sunday's paper, is about a new American intelligence unit called the Open Source Center that "keeps an eye on the global flood of nonsecret information." Blogs are included in that nonsecret information. The Center reads pop culture sources to, at minimum, read public opinion, and at most to decipher intelligence secrets.

A quote from the center's director, Douglas Naquin, really caught my eye. It resonated clearly with Daniel's situation:

"There's not much difference between working with a disgruntled military officer as a clandestine agent and reading what a disgruntled military officer posts on a blog."

Perhaps he speaks of our young Daniel himself.

For the sake of speculation, I have to think, careful...be careful...sometimes we know not what we are really doing...big brother's always listening.....or reading...

who's reading your blog? eye5.gif

Posted by wood0072 at 9:25 AM

shelf-life of a blog.

I'm kind of bored with this world, as i see it. Maybe I liked it at first because it reminded me of a younger me, but now, that nostalgia has run its course.

I hope Sanyal, the blogger, is not keeping up with my blog.

So, is this boredom indicative of a blog's ability to hold interest, or is it merely evidence of my short attention span? I guess, like any narrative, there has to be enough to hold your interest.

Unless I have a personal connection with the blogger, I'm not going to stay tuned. What she writes doesn't give me enough incentive to spend the commodity of my time reading it.

but, she probably doesn't care either. Blogs are for personal use, most often. mmm...so is the web more for convenience or for exposure? mmm. convenient, and public. a mixed bag of text effects. communication simultaneously public and private. mmm. can't really be private and public at the same time. pubvate. openly private. revealingly private.
Posted by wood0072 at 11:42 AM