I really have too much spare time....

LaFawnduh
You are LaFawnduh. Why are you so sweaty?

Which Napoleon Dynamite character are you?
brought to you by Quizilla

Posted by woodw032 at 10:22 PM

I need them or I will explode. That happens to me sometimes

GIR // GIR is one of the most hilarious people on
the show. He's a robot and is SUPPOSED to be
helping Zim. His quote is "Can I be a
moongoose dog?"

Which Invader Zim character are you?
brought to you by Quizilla

This is perhaps appropriate, as the following quotation will illustrate.
"Zim: Now, Dib, I leave you to your... eh
Gir: Moosey fate! Say moosey fate!
Zim: Your moosey fate.
Gir: [laughs] "

See more at IMDB quote page for Invader Zim.

more bike ramblings

It has been eminently kinda busy over here. I have gotten permission to take a Leave of Absence from grad schoo. The afternoon after I learned this I was perhaps more relaxed then I have been in 3 years (though the beer with Underblog) could have greatly helped that. My work at the bike shop has been going well and today consisted of learning about road bikes, and "having to" test ride a fes, including a Trek 5000, with a carbon frame, a Giant OCR bike, and a Lemond Steel frame bike. They were all pretty amazing, though the Carbon bike was, well, too nice for me -- it required more control and competence on a road bike then I have. However, my Demon Monster bike might have to become accustomed to a little brother -- a lower end road bike. However, I have tried to pre-bribe him with a new Bontrager XX Lite riser bar, shorter stem, and eggbeater petals. Hopefully, this will help him welcome his sibling.

I now understand why the boy wants a bike room. I was feeling excessive until I learned that some people I work with have 5-6 bikes. However, I have just realized that previous paragraph is probably interesting to no one. Sadly, I have to talk about what I am doing to my bike, since last week I went on my longest ride ever and fell on my knee. The scab and scrapes are really hideous, though apparently the boy and his friends think girls with scars are cool.

Hilarious quote from the boy just now "Hon, I have thought many things about you, but never have I thought of you as breeding stock."

We are watching the new, musical version of Reefer Madness and it is painfully, painfully funny. I am very excited to go see "Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" tomorrow, though I am insisting (much to my geek's chagrin), that we are not allowed to bring towels.

Katie, here is the bike for you; it is BRIGHT pink in actuality: The Bonnie Cruiser.

Posted by woodw032 at 9:55 PM

kitties and bikes

So, when the bike first came into the apartment, Dae was not a fan. There was hissing, anytime I moved the bike, she looked shocked and horrified, and was generally unhappy about the large imposter. I think part of it had to do with the various smells of the bike -- the oils and lubes, combined with the smells the tires picked upfrom riding on the trails and roads. However, something has now changed -- I leave the bike there for a little while, and somehow the cat has determined that she loves the bike. She uses the big chainring as a back scratcher (a process I should probably stop), twists her tail in and out of the spokes,and rubs her head against the tires. Either this proves the seductive power of my bike, or the cat is crazy.

Today was my first day at the bike shop and it was pretty fun. I also found some bright pink streamers and bell. If Katie ever gets a bike, I will get them and send them to her.

Posted by woodw032 at 10:16 PM

My kitty

IMG_5767.jpg

Isn't she CUTE?!?!?!

Posted by woodw032 at 7:18 PM

I feel like the dancing banana icon

So, as I realized earlier today when I tried to journal, I don't really have anything much to say. Its not that there is nothing going on in my life (though, truth to be told, I haven't really got too much going on right now), but rather that I don't have much to say about it. I saw Sin City again this weekend and am still offput by this work. I think the movie is astonishingly gorgeous and like some of the storylines quite a bit, though I find (not surprisingly), the gore and sexual violence to be upsetting. I am not saying that I think the movie should not have these aspects, if anything they help to formulate the feel of utter corruption and twisted heroism that Miller's work embodies. However, the movie is, at times, gross. What is interesting in this movie is a sort of post-feminist feminism -- the characters one most identifies with and who seem the most human (and strongest) are the prostitutes who run Old Town and the movie is a constant critique of sexual violence. This is best demonstrated by seeing what happens in this work to those who abuse women. While the ordinary criminals might get shot, hit over the head with a pipe, Miller and Rodriguez save the worst punishments for the child molesters and potential rapists. As one movie reviewer wrote, it is rare that you have to write about a movie and discuss castration in the plural. And, of course, that this violence is happening to such one-sided villains makes the audience cheer it on even more – I was cheering when Benecio del Toro’s cop character finally was killed (not surprisingly, the segment that Tarantino directed was the one between Dwight and Jack in the car).

However, I am now really looking forward to seeing Hitchiker’s Guide. Even though I thought that Episode 2 committed the grave crime of making Yoda looks like Sonic the Hedgehog in his fight scene, I will go see Episode 3. The boy and friends of the boy (FOTB) will be going at midnight on opening night and then taking a 1/2 day off the next day. My response to this is that the boy is lucky indeed to be working in a really geeky industry (i.e. his boss thinks this is both a good and understandable idea).

In other cultural events, I have been working on my homemade sushi roll making. I have gotten fairly good at nigiri (rolling rice into balls is fun!), but my maki rolls look sad. They taste yummy, but look really bad. Part of the problem is that the cat goes after the tuna and I am trying to roll and stop her midair leap all at once. Surprisingly, the cat likes raw fish. I have also been watching Showdog Moms & Dads. The show is just sad, very very sad. The only other TV show I have been watching is this season of ANTM and I only have 2 things to say: the first person they kicked off (Brita) was probably the most attractive of all of the women and the only one who isn’t in dire need of a sandwich (that’s for you, boy) and secondly, I like when Tyra yells. Oh, and thirdly, I really can’t help it, I like Janice a lot.

I will end with a sad comment on the new study out today that links both Alleve and Advil to heart disease. If this is true, someone should just kill me now because when the first reports on Alleve came out, all I could think of was “I’d be completely screwed were it not for the glory that is Advil.” To hear that this might not be the case is devastating. Hmmm, isn’t Aspirin supposted to stop heart disease? I wonder if combining Advil and Aspirin is bad??

Advil, I’ll miss you
Pink, sweet coating makes me smile
I’ll love you always

Posted by woodw032 at 6:54 PM

New Acheivement

I am so excited -- yesterday I rode over a log pile successfully for the first time ever. I jumped up and down and felt significantly better (especially since earlier I had run into a tree and skinned both of my knees). Today has been pretty mellow. I got up, walked to French Meadow, read the new Citypages and had a croissant, walked back, went to the gym and sat in the hot tub to help get the aches out, went to Barnes and Noble, and am now substitute teaching. My big idea for the day is to go and see a nutritionist at the U. My eating is really screwed up right now and I am not sure what I need to be eating for the amount of biking that I am doing and I get ravenously hungry and after a few bites, I feel ridiculously full, only to be ravenous in a couple of hours. And, it is free. If anyone is looking for girly beach-reading type books (i.e. Katie), I recommend Bergdorf Blondes, it is funny and light. Right now fluffy is good.

Posted by woodw032 at 12:49 PM

New NIMBY

I noticed today that approximately 3 blocks away from my home a Starbucks is going up. While I recognize that I live right off Uptown and that this is inevitable, I am still not terribly happy about it. We have a lot of great little coffee shops close by and I get really annoyed with the super expensive condos and shops going up. This is not to say that I don't sometimes go get a Venti something or other because I do. I guess I just don't want it close to where I live. In other words, Starbucks is sort of like a toxic waste dump or trash dump -- you use it and don't want it to stop, you just don't want it near you.
I got a weekend job yesterday working on bikes. I am very excited about this (especially the discount) and really glad that I can learn a lot more about bikes and their inner workings. I was kind of hoping for a mechanic type job, but this is far better then nothing. Sadly, I am still sore from rock climbing. I am interested in seeing how the unionization vote goes at the U; it seems that not that many people are voting, which is disappointing. I thought I might kill some of the union folks yesterday as I got 6 phone calls telling me I needed to vote. I was planning on it, but not until later in the day. In other oh so exciting news, I joined MORC and IMBA.

Posted by woodw032 at 2:58 PM

iPrecious

It is an absolutely beautiful day outside and hopefully I will get a ride in. I have an interview for a PT job at a bike shop, which I am very excited about. I actually want to learn how to be a bike mechanic or assemble bikes, so I am hoping that I could do that and not just do sales. I am very sore from the climbing yesterday and carrying plates, etc earlier sadly hurt. Now, I am in the middle of subbing and it is (again) fairly uneventful. Many of the students are wearing buttons in support of GLBT persons and today is the "Day of Silence," where some students are not speaking for the entire day. Sadly, it is the students who don't talk who you wish would talk and the students who are talking that you wish wouldn't, but that seems to be inevitable. I wish I had something exciting to write about. The laptop (or iBeloved or, if you are a LOTR fan, the iPrecious) being back is delightful, especially since I haven't gotten to update or play around with the iPod's playlists since February. The Apple store undercharged me and Gap was having a sale, so one transferred into another. I got very cute wide leg pants and a bright blue big bag. I think I am as antsy for this class to be done with are the kids are.

I am feeling especially anti-University right now. The graduate students are voting on Unionization this week and we have all been receiving the e-mails from the OHR department. My favorite was that the unionization process, since it was collective, would destroy the student's individual relationship with professors. I fell down laughing at this -- what individual relationship with the professors? If I wasn't going to vote before all of this, these e-mails certainly would have convinced me.

Posted by woodw032 at 2:31 PM

Monkeying around rock climbing

Today has been a pretty good day in my universe. I realized that I had done my taxes wrong, so instead of owing the IRS a big chunk, I actually get a refund. Then, I went and picked my computer up from the Apple store and was so very excited to have it back. Finally, the boy and I went rock climbing at Vertical Endeavors.

OH pizza is here... more later

Posted by woodw032 at 10:06 PM

This is humorous

As a former Unitarian, I found this hilarious:

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Atom Bomb of Enlightened Compassion.

Get yours.

Posted by woodw032 at 9:04 AM

Perfect Day

This weekend has been just wonderful. Yesterday, I got up, the boy and I went to REI, Penn Cycle for him to test ride a GF 292, grabbed a bagel and then took the bikes to the flats to do skills work. I got to practice downhills (butt off the seat and behind it), rock gardens, and balance. This ended up being really fun since we brought along the camera and took pictures and watched the geese. Then, we went out to Penn Cycle in Bloomington to get a few things on my bike adjusted and decided to go check out the River Bottoms. We rode for a bit out there, having a lot of fun and just playing around. We returned today and rode for about 7 miles and I was very very blissed out. It was just wonderful; a breeze coming off the river, beautiful scenery, nice twisting singletrack but still beginner friendly. We came back, showered, and walked over to Town Hall for sandwiches and beer (not as good of a grilled cheese as Annie's, but Annie's doesn't have beer, so a worthwhile trade-off). I fell asleep in the recliner, a very happy me.

Posted by woodw032 at 5:41 PM

Mountain Biking and Fondue

So, things I have noticed. First, substitute teaching is not the world’s hardest job, particularly when everyone gets laptops and is researching. Secondly, something amazing and wonderful has happened to MN weather and all I want to do is be outside. Thirdly, I really, really wish that I had someone to mountain bike with, especially someone starting out. Ideally, I would find another girl, who is cool, who also wants to learn to mountain bike. Sadly, I cannot find anyone who wants to start out. However, I am very excited about getting to go rock climbing tomorrow; I have never been and am going with a group and it should be really fun and almost like mtb in the getting covered with dirt type of way. I don’t really have much to talk about. Tonight the boy and I are going to the Melting Pot since sometime around now is the 1 year anniversary of our first date. Interestingly, I wasn’t even really thinking about it and he has been the one who has pushed for having a nice date and doing stuff for it. He hasn’t ever had fondue, and we thought about going to Sapor or Alma again, since both of those places have just amazing food, but I think this will be more fun. And we can try to poke each other with the fondue forks (this pretending that I am a mature adult thing is sadly a façade). It is also nice, because the meal is really spaced out there and you have a lot of time to talk, and cooking and eating the food takes time, so it ends up being a really relaxing experience. I went to the one in Nashville for my 21st birthday with about 10 other people and it was the absolutely perfect thing to do. We got to drink good wine, take forever eating, talk, get dressed up and look great, and feel sophisticated. On the topic of dressing up (since I know one of my blog readers might care), I am going to wear this new black wrap dress that I got at the H&M in Chicago. Of course, all of this is after a ride on the West River Road and some skills work. Wow, if anyone could completely geekify mountain biking, it might be me.

Posted by woodw032 at 1:40 PM

New Bike!!

The Moosey Fate family for awhile has been me, the kitty Dae, and my bike, a cute silver Trek 4100 who, try as I might, I have not been able to name. She just resists any name I put on her. Today, I fell in love and thus, a new member of the family was procured. He is a Gary Fisher 2005 X-Caliber (link below). In the “Large” size, he is enormous, with the 29-inch wheels. His name is Demon Monster (meant in the most loving of all tones). I am substitute teaching right now and am as antsy to get out of here as the kids, since I want to go home, change, and take my new monster outside and ride. I test rode it forever at the store, not wanting to stop. What I have noted after this (albeit fairly short ride): 1. 29-inch wheels are spectacular. Even with the suspension fork not engaged, I can roll over just about anything and not feel it. Small potholes in the parking lot were not even noticed, and both my shoulders and ass were glad. 2. Disc brakes are very very nice. There is no noise, no rubbing, and they are just wonderfully responsive. 3. The new bike is pretty in a badass looking type of way. Next, for any biking fans out there, I went to Penn Cycle and was very impressed. It was a pleasant experience, the salesperson was very helpful and patient, even suggesting I try different things and then just leaving me alone to ride it for awhile (leaving customers alone is an undervalued sale skill I think), and then they offer a lot of nice perks like discounts on accessories for 90 days (I think, at this point I was just super-excited). Let me just say that I recommend Penn (in Bloomington). I really want this class to be done.

Posted by woodw032 at 2:35 PM

Down at Fraggle Rock

I really liked Fraggle Rock as a little kid. This always has been slightly befuddling to me since I typically did not like "catch your cares away, worries for another day" type kids shows, but always prefered ones that were slightly more cynical and darker. This must come as a great surprise to all who know me. However, I have been feeling rather Fraggle-like today and have even made my phone ringtone the Fraggle Rock theme (ahh expressions of individuality).

There have been a lot of decisions going on in Natalie-world right now, mainly in the vein of trying to figure out what to do with my life and for next year (and occasionally for tomorrow too). I have been offered a ½ time teaching job – benefits are good, the money is not. However, it would allow a bit of free time and might be a very very nice option for a year. So, I am thinking about it. However, with the full on arrival of Spring, I have been an outdoor bunny – I have been biking, walking, and more walking. I currently have a sun burn (grumble grumble), and Chaco-strap tan lines on my feet. I am currently also scouting out new mountain bikes. I have really fallen hard for the Gary Fisher 29-ers. The 293 or 292 would be lovely, but might be more bike than I need. I am therefore currently lusting after this model: The Gary Fisher Paragon. This bike is just wonderfully sweet. However, I also like The X-Caliber. Normal people lust after other people, or things with 4 wheels; I am a sucker for 2 wheels and a (seemingly) burning desire to throw me off of it. Interesting.

Class ended early tonight and I am about to head out with the boy et al to go to the Irish pub and eat a tuna steak sandwich. Which reminds me that I want to know where it was that my esteemed Mayoral friend ate his tuna steaks because they sounded yummy.

Posted by woodw032 at 9:04 PM