My thoughts on this year's college debate topic

Which is "Resolved: The United States Federal Government should substantially increase diplomatic and economic pressure on the People's Republic of China in one or more of the following areas: trade, human rights, weapons nonproliferation, Taiwan. "

Pressure pushing down on me
Pressing down on you no man ask for
Under pressure
That burns a building down
Splits a family in two
Puts people on streets

Um ba ba bay
Um ba ba bay
Dee day duh
Ee day duh

It's the terror of knowing
What this world is about
Watching some good friends
Screaming let me out!
Pray tomorrow takes me higher
Pressure on people
People on streets

Day day day
da da dup bup bup
Okay

Chippin' around
kick my brains round the floor
These are the days
It never rains but it pours
Ee do bay bup
Ee do bay ba bup
Ee do bup
Bay bup
People on streets
Dee da dee da day
People on streets
Dee da dee da dee da dee da

It's the terror of knowing
What this world is about
Watching some good friends
Screaming let me out!
Pray tomorrow takes me high high higher
Pressure on people
People on streets

Turned away from it all
Like a blind man
Sat on a fence but it don't work
Keep coming up with love
But it's so slashed and torn
Why why why?
Love love love love love

Insanity laughs under pressure we're cracking
Why Can't we give ourselves one more chance?
Why can't we give love that one more chance?
Why can't we give love give love give love?
Give love give love give love give love give love give love?
Cause love's such an old fashioned word
And love dares you to care
For the people on the edge of the night
And love dares you to change our way
Of caring about ourselves
This is our last dance
This is our last dance
This is ourselves
Under Pressure
Under Pressure
Pressure

Posted by woodw032 at 1:28 AM

Not in MPLS

So I have successfully made it out to debate camp after the Friday night flight was cancelled and leaving at 5:30am on Saturday. The time change has been slightly rough as it is 2 hrs earlier here and we had a meeting until 10 pm last night and I was up until midnight doing dorm stuff. However, today I have nothing much going on until 7pm this evening, so I am adjusting fine.

I am very happy (though not really surprised) that Lance won his 7th Tour de France. I was surprised at how well Jan Ullrich ended up doing.

I have been obessively reading about this recent blog-o-sphere/Grey Lady scandal. After reading the article in the NYT and the blog, all I can say is WAHHH Susan Olen and that I hate her. More (and more eloquent) commentary can be found
here
here
and as the lead story of today's Salon.

I am currently printing stuff for mt curriculum and getting ready for tonight's lab to start. However, being that we had to get all of our evidence done in advance, I feel pretty useless.

Posted by woodw032 at 4:20 PM

I need them or I will explode. That happens to me sometimes

GIR // GIR is one of the most hilarious people on
the show. He's a robot and is SUPPOSED to be
helping Zim. His quote is "Can I be a
moongoose dog?"

Which Invader Zim character are you?
brought to you by Quizilla

This is perhaps appropriate, as the following quotation will illustrate.
"Zim: Now, Dib, I leave you to your... eh
Gir: Moosey fate! Say moosey fate!
Zim: Your moosey fate.
Gir: [laughs] "

See more at IMDB quote page for Invader Zim.

I feel like the dancing banana icon

So, as I realized earlier today when I tried to journal, I don't really have anything much to say. Its not that there is nothing going on in my life (though, truth to be told, I haven't really got too much going on right now), but rather that I don't have much to say about it. I saw Sin City again this weekend and am still offput by this work. I think the movie is astonishingly gorgeous and like some of the storylines quite a bit, though I find (not surprisingly), the gore and sexual violence to be upsetting. I am not saying that I think the movie should not have these aspects, if anything they help to formulate the feel of utter corruption and twisted heroism that Miller's work embodies. However, the movie is, at times, gross. What is interesting in this movie is a sort of post-feminist feminism -- the characters one most identifies with and who seem the most human (and strongest) are the prostitutes who run Old Town and the movie is a constant critique of sexual violence. This is best demonstrated by seeing what happens in this work to those who abuse women. While the ordinary criminals might get shot, hit over the head with a pipe, Miller and Rodriguez save the worst punishments for the child molesters and potential rapists. As one movie reviewer wrote, it is rare that you have to write about a movie and discuss castration in the plural. And, of course, that this violence is happening to such one-sided villains makes the audience cheer it on even more Ė I was cheering when Benecio del Toroís cop character finally was killed (not surprisingly, the segment that Tarantino directed was the one between Dwight and Jack in the car).

However, I am now really looking forward to seeing Hitchikerís Guide. Even though I thought that Episode 2 committed the grave crime of making Yoda looks like Sonic the Hedgehog in his fight scene, I will go see Episode 3. The boy and friends of the boy (FOTB) will be going at midnight on opening night and then taking a 1/2 day off the next day. My response to this is that the boy is lucky indeed to be working in a really geeky industry (i.e. his boss thinks this is both a good and understandable idea).

In other cultural events, I have been working on my homemade sushi roll making. I have gotten fairly good at nigiri (rolling rice into balls is fun!), but my maki rolls look sad. They taste yummy, but look really bad. Part of the problem is that the cat goes after the tuna and I am trying to roll and stop her midair leap all at once. Surprisingly, the cat likes raw fish. I have also been watching Showdog Moms & Dads. The show is just sad, very very sad. The only other TV show I have been watching is this season of ANTM and I only have 2 things to say: the first person they kicked off (Brita) was probably the most attractive of all of the women and the only one who isnít in dire need of a sandwich (thatís for you, boy) and secondly, I like when Tyra yells. Oh, and thirdly, I really canít help it, I like Janice a lot.

I will end with a sad comment on the new study out today that links both Alleve and Advil to heart disease. If this is true, someone should just kill me now because when the first reports on Alleve came out, all I could think of was ďIíd be completely screwed were it not for the glory that is Advil.Ē To hear that this might not be the case is devastating. Hmmm, isnít Aspirin supposted to stop heart disease? I wonder if combining Advil and Aspirin is bad??

Advil, Iíll miss you
Pink, sweet coating makes me smile
Iíll love you always

Posted by woodw032 at 6:54 PM

New Acheivement

I am so excited -- yesterday I rode over a log pile successfully for the first time ever. I jumped up and down and felt significantly better (especially since earlier I had run into a tree and skinned both of my knees). Today has been pretty mellow. I got up, walked to French Meadow, read the new Citypages and had a croissant, walked back, went to the gym and sat in the hot tub to help get the aches out, went to Barnes and Noble, and am now substitute teaching. My big idea for the day is to go and see a nutritionist at the U. My eating is really screwed up right now and I am not sure what I need to be eating for the amount of biking that I am doing and I get ravenously hungry and after a few bites, I feel ridiculously full, only to be ravenous in a couple of hours. And, it is free. If anyone is looking for girly beach-reading type books (i.e. Katie), I recommend Bergdorf Blondes, it is funny and light. Right now fluffy is good.

Posted by woodw032 at 12:49 PM

Mountain Biking and Fondue

So, things I have noticed. First, substitute teaching is not the worldís hardest job, particularly when everyone gets laptops and is researching. Secondly, something amazing and wonderful has happened to MN weather and all I want to do is be outside. Thirdly, I really, really wish that I had someone to mountain bike with, especially someone starting out. Ideally, I would find another girl, who is cool, who also wants to learn to mountain bike. Sadly, I cannot find anyone who wants to start out. However, I am very excited about getting to go rock climbing tomorrow; I have never been and am going with a group and it should be really fun and almost like mtb in the getting covered with dirt type of way. I donít really have much to talk about. Tonight the boy and I are going to the Melting Pot since sometime around now is the 1 year anniversary of our first date. Interestingly, I wasnít even really thinking about it and he has been the one who has pushed for having a nice date and doing stuff for it. He hasnít ever had fondue, and we thought about going to Sapor or Alma again, since both of those places have just amazing food, but I think this will be more fun. And we can try to poke each other with the fondue forks (this pretending that I am a mature adult thing is sadly a faÁade). It is also nice, because the meal is really spaced out there and you have a lot of time to talk, and cooking and eating the food takes time, so it ends up being a really relaxing experience. I went to the one in Nashville for my 21st birthday with about 10 other people and it was the absolutely perfect thing to do. We got to drink good wine, take forever eating, talk, get dressed up and look great, and feel sophisticated. On the topic of dressing up (since I know one of my blog readers might care), I am going to wear this new black wrap dress that I got at the H&M in Chicago. Of course, all of this is after a ride on the West River Road and some skills work. Wow, if anyone could completely geekify mountain biking, it might be me.

Posted by woodw032 at 1:40 PM