Excellence in First-Year Writing Award
The FYW Program Excellence in Writing Award will be given to up to three outstanding essays written by current undergraduate students in a first-year writing course in the
2013-2014 academic year. The award recognizes the writing that is generated out of
University Writing, the first-year writing course.
The winner will receive a prize, a certificate, and publication on the FYW Program website. The award winner will be announced at the FYW Program Symposium in the spring.
* Authors must be an undergraduate student enrolled in either a Fall 2013 or Spring
2014 section of WRIT 1301 or 1401.
* Original essays must have been written in response to an assignment in WRIT 1301
* Essays written in any genre for the class are acceptable.
* Authors must be registered students as of May 2014 at the University of Minnesota
in order to receive the award.
* Only one entry per student is eligible for submission.
1. Fill out the application form. Remember to sign and date it.
2. Attach a typed, double-spaced, clean copy of your essay. Remove your name, but keep the title.
3. Attach the writing assignment the essay was written to fulfill. Your application will not be considered without the assignment sheet. See your instructor if you need a copy.
How To Submit:
Please bring all of the required materials to the Dept. of Writing Studies, 214 Nolte Center. OR, email all of the materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line "FYW Writing Award."
Deadline for Submissions:
* Fall 2013 students must submit materials by 4pm on Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2014.
* Spring 2014 students must submit materials by 4pm on Friday, May 9, 2014.
Late applications will not be accepted.
All winners will be notified by Thursday, May 15, 2014.