Job: Technical Writer Internship
Get an edge on your classmates when applying for jobs after college! Gain valuable, real-world experience as XATA's Technical Writer Intern. Learn the important role of a technical writer in a software company. Work closely with XATA's technical writing team to learn how to create and revise user documentation for software, hardware, and mobile technologies using a variety of authoring tools and strategies.
Internship length and pay: Earned credits + hourly compensation starting at $15/hour. Compensation is dependent upon experience. Internship beginning date and duration are flexible.
Founded in 1985, XATA Corporation (www.xata.com) is the expert in optimizing fleet operations by reducing costs and ensuring regulatory compliance for the trucking industry. Our on-demand software and services help companies manage fleet operations, enhance driver safety and deliver a higher level of customer satisfaction. Offered through a fee-based subscription service, XATA affordably oversees every truck in an organization's fleet.
XATA provides expert services to develop the business processes required to deliver the profitability, safety and service levels demanded by today's competitive transportation environments. XATA was the first company to introduce electronic driver logs and exception-based management reporting. Today XATA systems increase the productivity of approximately 64,000 trucks across North America.
In a real-world environment, learn to:
• Create and/or edit documentation. This may include:
- User Guides - Quick References - Internal Procedures
- Installation Guides - Online Help - Internal Style and Process Documents
• Meet required deadlines.
• Follow the review/approval process before releasing new or updated documentation.
• Interview SMEs and other technical contacts to gather input for documentation updates.
• Ensure proper usage of grammar, spelling, punctuation, and accuracy of information.
• Apply templates and style guides to documentation to ensure a consistent look and feel.
• Currently enrolled or recently graduated from the University of Minnesota's Scientific & Technical Communication program.
• Experience in using Microsoft Word. Experience with Adobe RoboHelp or MadCap Flare a plus.
• Ability to learn new tools and processes quickly.
• A positive attitude with strong work ethic, integrity and honesty.
• Excellent communication, editing and writing skills.
Applicants who are interviewed will be expected to show examples of technical writing work they have created. This may include user guides, quick references, procedures, service-learning documentation projects, or instruction sets.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, XATA is committed to a diverse workforce.
Interested applicants should email their cover letter and resume to email@example.com