Job: Case Study Researcher
Employer: Clean Energy Resource Team
Date: Spring and/or Summer 2012 (flexible start date)
Hours: Hours are flexible. Work can be done from the CERTs office at the U of M St. Paul campus or from home. Ideally, between 5-8 hours/week, more in the summer.
Reports To: CERTs Campaign & Metrics coordinator
The Clean Energy Resource Teams (CERTs) project, launched in 2003, is connecting people with the technical resources needed to identify and implement community-scale energy efficiency and clean energy projects. The Clean Energy Resource Teams are diverse--individuals, small business owners, farmers, members of environmental groups, local utility representatives, local, state and federal government staff and elected leaders, academics--and all share common goals and values. They want strong communities, local jobs, and secure, clean, reliable energy.
The CERTs approach is one of pragmatism and cooperation. It's a model for how tangible economic, social and environmental benefits can be achieved by reaching across traditional interest groups and taking a true, community-based approach. In fact, CERTs has become something of a model for community-based clean energy.
CERTs supports community-based clean energy projects across the state with seed grants. Once the project is completed, the grantee submits a final report telling how the project was implemented. The final step is to create a case study to describe community models, technologies and lessons learned about projects CERTs has helped fund. These case studies are typically one to two pages long and are a helpful resource to communities who want to do similar projects. Interns will be given a byline for the case study they write (if they wish) and gain valuable insight into the variety of clean energy projects springing up across the state. CERTs is also willing to help with any paperwork regarding internships for credit, etc.
• Coordinate with CERTs staff regarding which projects need case studies.
• Read the reports submitted about the project, do additional research, and conduct interviews with applicants (interviews can be conducted over the phone from the CERTs office.
• Write the case study draft and make suggested edits suggested by CERTs staff.
• Submit completed case study for publication on CERTs website.
• Represent CERTs when conducting interviews or other interactive research.
• Must have strong writing and editing skills; creative and/or journalistic style preferred.
• Experience conducting quick research on a variety of topics, e.g. energy efficiency technologies, renewable energy development, community organization and resources, project planning and implementation
• Ability to work independently as well as in a group setting. Applicant should be comfortable setting own deadlines and being independently accountable to them.
• Ability to interact confidently with diverse groups of people.
• Interested in learning about community-based clean energy projects.
Submit short cover letter explaining your interest, a resume, and a 1-2 page writing sample (any topic) to email@example.com by 4:00pm Monday, March 12th. Please describe any internship requirements if applicable.
For more information, contact:
Michelle Vigen, CERTs Campaign & Metrics coordinator
Phone: (612) 626-0455
U of MN 411 Borlaug Hall
1991 Upper Buford Circle
St. Paul, MN 55108