Job: RAK Communications Officer
Employer: Government of Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates
Job ID: 80974
An ideal opportunity for a highly motivated recent graduate that has an interest in government relations and communications.
Seeking an exceptional and highly motivated professional to serve as a Communications Officer for the Government of Ras Al Khaimah (RAK) in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). This is an ideal opportunity for recent graduates who want to gain experience in government relations and communications while working closely with policymakers in an international setting. Given the timeline involved, prospective applicants could graduate December 2012 and still be considered for the position.
The Communications Officer position will be instrumental in assisting the Communications Department reach an expanding base of varied stakeholders by streamlining messaging associated with public events, media relations, and other outreach activities. The successful candidate will have an opportunity to make meaningful contributions to a growing department that reaches local, regional, and international audiences.
RAK is one of the northern emirates in the UAE and is located about an hour from Dubai. It boasts dramatic mountains, red sandy deserts, and sunny coastal beaches. It is currently the fastest growing emirate with a rich cultural heritage and tradition of international trade. Major industries include tourism, natural gas, ceramics, pharmaceuticals, and cement. As the emirate continues to evolve and diversify its economy, the RAK government seeks to implement sustainable development policies and promote public-private partnerships.
As a member of the Communications Department, the Communications Officer's primary focus will be to create compelling written materials that effectively communicate to a diverse group of target audiences in RAK, the UAE, broader Gulf region, and internationally. This will entail:
- Drafting executive speeches
- Drafting official correspondence in the form of letters and e-mails
- Drafting articles for publications in mainstream and specialized publications/websites Creating general and thematic PowerPoint presentations
- Assisting with the press release and statement drafting process
- Editing and/or updating materials and sections for the website
Required knowledge, experience and skills:
- Bachelor's degree with a major in Journalism, English, or other writing-related discipline
- Experience writing in a formal setting (may include employment, internships, significant contributions to campus newspapers/publications, extensive freelance portfolio, etc.)
- Superior written and oral English communication skills
- Editing and/or re-writing experience
- Strong communications research and analytical skills, including the ability to rapidly research, analyze, and effectively integrate diverse information from varied sources
- Superior ability to turn complex, technical language into accessible, compelling speeches, articles, and other materials
- Experience interacting with diverse cultural backgrounds, ages, and levels of authority
- Discrete and politically astute, capable of navigating complex situations effectively
- Ability to perform under pressure and remain flexible in a fast-paced environment Motivated, organized, and dependable
- Ability to think creatively and highly articulate
Preferred knowledge, experience and skills:
- Additional languages: Arabic is an asset
- Experience with media relations and outreach
- Experience with speech writing, preferably for public figures
- Prior experience in the Arab world and/or international experience through study or work abroad programs
- Genuine enjoyment of writing
The position comes with a generous remuneration package that includes health insurance, one month leave, and an annual (economy-class) plane ticket to country of origin. Relocation expenses are also included.
Application Instructions & Process
Please send a cover letter, resume or CV, the names and contact details of three references (including the nature and length of their relationship to the applicant), and two recent academic or professional writing samples that demonstrate the applicant's ability to meet the varied responsibilities of the position to email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until Monday, September 17, 2012. Initial interviews will be conducted over the phone or via Skype, and finalists will be flown to Ras Al Khaimah for an in-person interview. The official start date is negotiable but will occur no later than the beginning of January 2013 (earlier preferred).
If you have any questions please contact:
(UofM graduate '04)
Program Manager for Outreach
Sheikh Saud Bin Saqr Al Qasimi Foundation for Policy Research
P. O. Box: 12050
Ras Al Khaimah, UAE
Tel: +971 7 233 80 60
Fax: +971 7 233 80 70