Career Quest Chat

A reminder: Career Quest Chat: on Wednesday, November 18, 1:00-2:00 in Wesbrook 170; Prof. Ross will be leading the discussion.

If you have insights to share, want to refine your career documents, or simply want to a bit of support, join the chat.

Congratulations

Congratulations to Kim Thomas-Pollei, who has been elected to a two year term on the RSA Board.

Way to go, Kim!

Presenting

The grad students in RSTC are busy with the beginning of the semester. However, that doesn't mean there isn't time for conference presentations.

Joe Weinberg and John Logie have collaborated with Max Haper and Joe Konstan of the Computer Science department to present at the Internet Research 10.0 - Internet: Critical conference for the Association of Internet Researchers in Milwaukee, WI in October. Their paper, The ABCs of DEF is a study of Q&As on websites with an Aristotelian approach.

Mary Jo Wiatrak-Uhlenkott has been accepted to present at two conferences this fall. In October, she is scheduled to present on the identity of the feminist composition community at the 2009 Feminisms and Rhetorics conference at Michigan State University in East Lansing. She is also scheduled to present at the National Women's Studies Association conference in November. The focus of the panel she is on is the politics of memory and the history of domestic violence.

If you know of others who are presenting this fall, let us know! We'd love to share the good news.

Welcome back 2009

We had a great orientation day yesterday, including the Welcome party at the Alumni Center.

Between orientation and the party, a group of 15 of us were together and discussed establishing Parlor, groups, and other meetings for the new school year. A recap (and please add on, or let me know, if I've missed anything):

• Contact Donald Ross (rossj001@umn.edu), the current DGS, if you'd like to be on one of the following committees:
    • small advisory group to discuss such issues as the DGS budget, significant changes in the curriculum and degree rules that might be proposed, and ways to improve professional development.
    • an environment committee to discuss how 201 Wesbrook is set up
    • the technology committee, chaired by John Logie.
    • a committee to create and plan Parlor events, and to encourage both students and faculty to support the series
  • The first parlor is tentatively schedule for September 16th to discuss RSA submissions.
  • We will be developing a wiki to have a current list of CFPs, conferences, reading and writing groups, etc.

Stay tuned!

Departments and Such II

Scott's question is a good one. Here's a list of all the institutions for graduates dating back to 1994:

Carnegie mellon
Kent State
Central Florida
UW-Eau Claire
Pres., Stone Mantel
Texas Tech
UW-River Falls
UMN Duluth
UNISYS
Texas Tech
East Carolina U
McGill U
Metro State
Rasmussen Business College
Georgia Southern
St. Norbert
Appalachian State
St. Johns
Mankato State
Western Illinois
East Carolina
U of LA Lafayette
Northern Illinois
UW-Eau Claire
U of Denver
York U, PA
Gettysburg College
Case Western Reserve

Departments and Such

I was wondering what university / college departments and divisions have people joined after graduating? What are some of the names and descriptions?

Continue reading "Departments and Such" »

A Lonely AY Away from Writing Studies

Since I'm doing the IT Fellowship for CNES and SLHS departments this year, I have an office all the way over in Shevlin and won't be around Wesbrook too much. I'll miss running into you guys, but I do have some time set aside for most thursdays this semester, so I hope to see you in the mornings for coffee, convo, possibly a nosh? :)

Hope everyone is in good health, good spirits, and having fun this semester.

Welcome Back!

We're looking forward to catching up with everyone on Wednesday at orientation, the party, and the post-party party.

Anyone want to organize a "WritLife Goes to the Fair" meetup?

IEEE Opportunities

Get on'em!

IEEE Call for Book Reviews
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=20941504520&topic=5292

IEEE Call for Teaching Cases
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=20941504520&topic=5291

Picture Pages

Hello WritLifers!

I hope you are enjoying the wind-down of the summer...

I've added various photos to our WritLife page on Facebook. Please feel free to edit and untag as you wish. I have more to add!

Also, please add from your collection!

Cheers,
Marnie

Helvetica... the movie

I came across this review in the New York Times and thought that this film might be a fun supplement for a technical writing class.

Here's the official film website: Helvetica

Life imitates Ar...flying penises?

If you haven't heard, a press conference with Russian chess player and political hero Garry Kasparov was interrupted by a flying penis... that is, a remote-controlled sex toy hooked up to helicopter blades. While that sounds quite unusual in and of itself, the act was actually an imitation of a similar act that occurred on the virtual reality title Second Life.

An unusual blending of virtual and real to say the least....

McCain on Solar Subsidies

For anyone else tracking politics and its ties to our ensuing environmental crises, I thought this news item was particularly interesting.

On one hand, one of the commentators below the article is certainly right in that McCain chose not to do the politically expedient thing here. On the other hand, and more subtly, another commentator is (partially) correct in assuming that nuclear energy trends toward big business whereas solar trends towards smaller business and individual energy costs. Nonetheless, I'm convinced at this point that by even entering into the dialog and asking this person candidly, "What do you want me to do?", McCain shows that he would be an infinitely better Republican candidate with regard to the environment than just about anyone else out there. Whether that simply means he's the least of all evils, I'm not sure....

Prospectus Defense

Lots of folks (including me) are defending their dissertation prospecti at the end of this semester...what kind of experiences, hints, dos/donts, do folks who have already defended have for us young dissertaters?

Radical Reels April 26 @ Midwest Mountaineering

Get tickets now.

Midwest Mountaineering Presents Radical Reels

Musings by current MA/PhD students and PhD alumni in the UMN Department of Writing Studies as well as those who teach and consult with writing.

Blog Login

Meta

www.flickr.com
photos in WritLife More photos in WritLife

The Stories of Us

Academic and Productivity Blogs

Minnesotaness

UMN Resources