are you an academic?

How can one tell if s/he is cut out to be a college professor? Easy: you always remember the publisher and year of a book, but forget either the title or the author.

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:18 PM

waving to strangers

While in Liberty, South Carolina last week I participated in the common southern small town practice of waving to people one sees -- both on foot and in cars -- while out and about. Today I waved to an older gentleman as I drove out of my neighborhood, but he looked at me as though I was trying to coax him over to buy a bag of crack! I've got to remember that I'm up north again....

Posted by wrjacobs at 3:55 PM

exit row seating

This week I flew to/from the South -- South Carolina and The ATL (Atlanta) -- to visit family and friends. I was lucky enough to get exit row seating for both flights. On the return flight, though, two of the five people in my row were on the short side, at about 5 feet 5 inches. The main reason that those like me (at 6'4") will even willingly take the dreaded middle seat if in the exit row is to get some extra leg room, so I think that the airlines should add a height of 6'0" and above to the list of exit row seating restrictions.

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:48 PM

bloggers and academic jobs

A recent article in the Chronicle of Higher Education argues that professors who blog have a few disadvantages (compared to non-bloggers) while searching for jobs. It's a good thing, then, that I'm not on the market.

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:28 PM

online secrets

I recently learned about a site -- postsecret -- which "is an ongoing community art project where people mail in their secrets anonymously on one side of a homemade postcard." All of the cards that are posted (so far), though, look pretty fancy. I'll have to get an artist to help me out....

Posted by wrjacobs at 6:05 PM

I want my Go-To Card!

Today I took the Minneapolis Light Rail train to check out a new place for lunch, and almost had to use my credit card to pay the fare, 'cause I forgot that the cost of a ride went up 25 cents. I left with $1.25 in my pocket (plus a twenty in my wallet), but found another quarter in my bag for the $1.50 fare. Hopefully in the near future I'll be able to just swipe the Go-To Card, which is a year overdue. Hurry up, Metro Transit!

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:55 PM

sneakin' in the movies again

Back in February I posted a guide to sneakin' in the movies, focusing on seeing two movies for the price of one. Yesterday I did my second ever sneak-in triple feature. The line-up: Land of the Dead, Bewitched, and Herbie: Fully Loaded. After my first triple feature (in the summer of 2002) my head was spinning when I emerged from the theater, but this time I felt fine. I wonder if I'm ready for a quadruple feature!?

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:03 AM

America's real capital

Happy 4th of July! On this Independence Day lots of celebrations will be held around the country, such as A Capital Fourth in Washington, D.C. I wonder what's happening in the "real" capital, Las Vegas? I call Vegas this after visiting for the first time last week; people of all ages, races, ethnicities, social classes -- you name it! -- were united in a giant spectacle of glitz and consumption. Anything that can be bought or sold was available and lavishly displayed. What can be more American than Capitalist excess?!?

P.S. I won $100 on the slots.

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:45 AM

War of the Worlds

Last night I saw Spielberg's version of the War of the Worlds. It was a bit disappointing, as he got carried away with dramatic special effects (starting 15 minutes or so after the opening credits), whereas a more subtle build-up of tension with peeks and suggestions of aliens would've been more thrilling, like in Signs. Also, the standard Spielbergian themes -- like the absent father trying to redeem himself -- led to more duh!s that wow!s, I think. While the new movie is worth watching, I'd recommend that one should also check out the better 1953 version, George Pal's The War of the Worlds.

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:02 PM