the Hi vs. BART

I'm sitting at a computer in San Francisco's Hotel Vitale at 1:45 AM PST (3:45 Central time... to which my body is still synched). Why am I doing this? I'm all worked up that I had to waste $40 on a cab because I missed the last BART train from the airport into town. It left at 11:45; I got to the station at 12:30. I can NOT believe that a major international city has a crappier subway schedule than a system in "fly-over land": Minneapolis' Hiawatha line runs 'till 1:00 AM. Sad....

Posted by wrjacobs at 3:57 AM

PDA subway maps

bart.gif

The map above is of the BART subway system in San Francisco, posted to iPod Subway Maps. I don't have an iPod, but I'm gonna put the SF map in my WiFi-enabled Sony PDA for a trip that starts tomorrow. BART also has the map on its website, which includes a wireless PDA section that I'll also play with when I arrive. Isn't technology fun?!

Posted by wrjacobs at 6:37 PM

homecoming networking

Last week a few General College professors received an email: "I would like to invite you and your guest with other Faculty members to join [the U of M president] as the Golden Gopher football team celebrates its Homecoming game against Purdue on Saturday, September 24th, at the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome. The game begins at 11:00 a.m. Your tickets to a pre-game reception in the President's/Athletic Director's tent, and your game ticket will be available at the entrance to the tent, which is located at Gate D, underneath the picnic shelter." We thought we'd get to talk to the Prez and then sit with him in his private box. Silly us! There were at least 500 people in the tent, and the only time we saw the Prez was on the podium making a speech to send the crowd into the stadium. Inside the dome our seats were scattered all over the place. Oh well, at least my seat was in a great location, and the game was a thrilling one....

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:22 AM

entry 23, sentence 5

Here's an interesting meme posted on Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast:

Rules:
1. Go into your archive.
2. Find your 23rd post (or closest to).
3. Find the fifth sentence (or closest to).
4. Post the text of the sentence in your blog along with these instructions.

On my January 31 entry, the 5th sentence was:

"For instance, would an America of 2005 be well served by the ability of its citizens to visit Lacuna, Inc.?"

Weird.

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:50 PM

Spike Lee joints

Last night I saw Spike Lee's 2004 movie Sucker Free City. While good, it was nowhere near the level of his late 80s/early 90s work, like 1989's Do The Right Thing or 1992's Malcolm X. In fact, I think that everything after 1995's Clockers has been just OK (other than 2004's She Hate Me, which was abysmal). Maybe Spike has passed his prime?

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:50 AM

WNBA game microphones

The WNBA playoffs are being televised on ESPN2. In yesterday's game 1 a new gimmick was unveiled: each team had the head coach and a player "wired for sound," so the audience could hear what they were saying. For at least a year networks have wired NBA and WNBA basketball players, but until yesterday they only turned the mics on during timeouts. It was annoying to hear player/coach commentary pop up at random intervals during play...until Connecticut coach Mike Thibault started letting expletives fly! Amazingly, the person assigned to bleep out stuff was on weed or something, as twice s/he got the "bull" but NOT the "shit" of "bullshit," and then just got the "t" of "Oh, shit"! If ESPN2 uses the live game mics in tonight's game that person will surely be replaced. *&^%!

Posted by wrjacobs at 11:08 AM

differential fortune cookies

I wonder if the fortune cookies one recieves at Chinese restuarants are determined by the location of the restaurant. Today, for instance, at a place (Camdi's) next to the U of Minnesota my fortune read "a book is in your future," which is perfect for a professor on a lunch break. Do downtown restaurants order "you will find a condo with a great view" messages, and suburban places stock cookies that announce "an exceptional school will soon open in your neighborhood"?

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:56 PM

marching band fix

Last week I mentioned my love of parades and marching bands (be sure to check out the comments). I went to the State Fair on Sunday at 4:00, so missed the 2:00 parade. Yesterday, though, I participated in the New Student Convocation, so I got to enjoy the U of M marching band march in to Northrop Auditorium and play a few songs, including a favorite, the Minnesota March. So, that was fun, and I satisfied my seasonal marching band craving, but in 2006 I've got to get out to see The Real Deal Holyfield: bands marching in outdoor parades.

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:08 PM

first day of classes

The first day of fall semester classes -- TODAY! -- is my favorite day of the year. Why? There's just so much energy in the air as students stream in and out of freshly scrubbed campus buildings. More specifically, the mixture of excitement and fear of first year students reminds me of the endless possibilities of academia....

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:41 AM

last chance to see a parade

I can hardly believe that I've not yet done a favorite summer activity: watch parades that feature marching bands. I've got one more opportunity, though: there are daily parades at the Minnesota State Fair. I'll probably head over there on Sunday; hopefully by the time 2:00 rolls around I won't be too stuffed with mini donuts and Pronto Pups to enjoy it....

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:05 AM