grocer's apostrophes

Grocer's Apostrophes pop up in the strangest places. For instance, you would think that copy editors would not fail to strike a G.A. from a DVD box set that will sell in at least the 6-figure range, right? Wrong: Point Pleasant disc 3 has a description of "The Kramer's discover a secret." Maybe it's that a fired copy editor is moving to town?

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:18 AM

home milk delivery

This morning a truck labeled "MILK MAN" rolled down my street. Wow, I thought that home milk delivery was as extinct as wood tennis racquets. Seeing the truck brought back memories of the 70s, when my Dad would put a banged-up red cooler by the door the night before deliveries, and I would wake up early to try to spy on the milk man inserting ice-cold glass (!) bottles. In all the years of trying, though, I only saw him once or twice....

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:44 AM

Harry Potter 4

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire opened today and, of course, I went to the first Twin Cities AM showing (other than the various midnight screenings, that is). Not only was I at the first show, I was the first one in the theater...and the first patron in the building, as I had to wait outside for about 5 minutes before the doors were unlocked. Luckily it's fairly warm today (low 30s when I arrived). How was the movie itself? Let's just say that after time to fully reflect on it I may pronounce it my favorite so far....

Posted by wrjacobs at 3:19 PM

fall sci-fi TV update

A little over a month ago I posted an entry about 6 new sci-fi TV shows. Earlier this week the first cancellation of the batch was announced: ABC's Night Stalker. This was one of my "if I'm not doing anything else I'll watch but it is not TiVo-worthy" shows, so I'm not too disappointed that it's gone, especially since Netflix finally shipped the original Night Stalker double feature after a two-month delay. They must only have one copy in stock....

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:54 PM

creative movie marketing

During a commercial break in last night's episode of the TV show Medium a trailer for Memoirs of a Geisha appeared. No big deal, right? True, but something very unusual happened just before the commercial break: the characters discussed the movie and went to see it! What will marketing execs think of next?

November 16 update: check out a posting in the SciFi Wire.

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:22 AM

preparing for winter

It's that time of year again: winter in Minneapolis! The first snow storm of the season is predicted for tomorrow, along with low temps in the teens. So today I went around the house closing all the storm windows, and last weekend we cleaned out the gutters to cut down on ice dam growth. Gutter cleaning and storm window closing time are the only days of the year when I wish I still lived in an apartment....

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:29 PM

The Boondocks

Missing Chappelle's Show on Comedy Central? Check out The Boondocks on the Cartoon Network for a bomb-ass mix of humor and social critique.

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:12 AM

the sounds of peace

Check out the following statement by a U.S. military officer in Iraq:

"Some of you are concerned about the attack helicopters and mortar fire from the base. I will tell you this: those are the sounds of peace."

Wow! Get the full story from Nygaard Notes.

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:54 AM

which punctuation mark are you?

I'm a dash:

"There's no denying that you have a certain flair. You don't mind being around others, especially your little brother, the hyphen, but you rarely emerge except when needed. You respond well to those who know how to treat you, but have only contempt for those who don't--you tend to embarass them every chance you get. Your only enemy is the colon--he will sometimes try to move in on your turf."

Take the test.

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:03 PM

Halloween II

On Tuesday someone on the neighborhood list-serv said something like "thank you, neighbors, for welcoming our older teens as they trick-or-treated." S/he probably was not tricked, as my house was, and I doubt that the culprits were the little ones. The teens were at it again last night, as today the street is littered with smashed pumpkins. In anticipation of this, I tossed my jack-o-lantern in the trash the day after Halloween; those punk kids were not gonna mess up my driveway!

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:05 AM

my first jack-o-lantern

DSC00030.JPG

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:51 PM

activism on campus

Today is the National Student Walkout to protest the war in Iraq. During the march from The U's student union to a military recruitment station a very clean-cut White male undergrad took offense to the cheer of "Who is the terrorist? Bush is the terrorist!" The student's face looked like it would if somebody was calling his mama a ho or something. I was expecting a fight, but I guess that the presence of the Po-Po made him think twice and walk away....

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:54 PM

Halloween

When I was a kid, "Trick or Treat?" really meant "Treat or Treat?" since we never played any tricks. Some punk kids in my 'hood decided to do a trick last night, though, after showing up at the house past lights out. There were 8 bags of leaves on the curb; the little brats punched holes in 2, put another on top of a parked car, and threw one into the neighbor's yard. In the big scheme of things these are minor offenses, but DAMN!

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:32 AM