Monday night TV

Prior to last week, only two of my TV shows appeared in a back-to-back 2-hour time block: Wednesday's Lost and Invasion, both on ABC. Last week brought not only the second 2-hour block, it introduced my first 3-hour block: Surface, 24, and Medium (hours 1 and 3 on NBC, hour 2 on Fox). I was all set last night for another 3 hours in front of the tube, but Medium was a repeat! Ggggrrrr. Next week will be my last chance to get another 3 hour block in, as Monday's Surface episode will be the season finale. 24 will definitely air a new hour of Jack's fifth day, so keep your fingers crossed that Allison will see some new ghosts on Medium....

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:46 PM

Ask Dr. Science

Jazz 88 is now airing "Ask Dr. Science" Q & A radio segments. Check him out weekdays at 5:28 PM.

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:36 AM

why Showtime will always be #2

I just learned that Showtime will not air an episode of the 13-installment Masters of Horror series, and it was one I really want to see! I suppose that this should not be a surprise, as Showtime has made many other boneheaded decisions recently, like cancelling the wonderful Dead Like Me after only two seasons. No wonder that Showtime is always behind HBO in popularity....

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:22 AM

first day of spring classes

Today is the first day of classes at The U, and we were greeted this morning with a fresh coat of snow on the ground. I don't remember ever getting snow on the first day of spring classes while an undergrad at Georgia Tech (it rarely snows in The ATL), but I think that each start of spring classes in graduate school (Indiana U) was accompanied by fresh snow, and the trend continues here at the U of M-Twin Cities. Weird.

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:09 PM

MLK Day required reading

Check out Black People Love Us.

Posted by wrjacobs at 5:29 PM

task from Richard Pryor

Last night I had a dream in which Richard Pryor was a math teacher, and he asked me to help evaluate a new activity for his students. I had just finished it (solve an algebra equation using a designated method) when I realized that Richard Pryor is dead; I woke up just as "Richard Pryor" was starting to transmorgrify into something else. I've got to stop watching Showtime's Masters of Horror just before bedtime!

Posted by wrjacobs at 8:39 AM

Netflix rating system

If you are a Netflix member then you know that they have a 5 star rating system for movies. I think they should go to a 6 star scheme, in order to (a) one up Blockbuster's "member rating" appropriation, and (b) give fans one more needed category. If you agree, send Netflix a comment, suggesting the following rating scheme: 1=hated, 2=did not like, 3=it was OK, 4=liked, 5=really liked, 6=loved.

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:40 PM

Nicholson Hall

I just walked through recently renovated Nicholson Hall, which looks amazing. I think I've found my new favorite building on campus....

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:15 PM

Narnia in the news

Narnia is pissed off at the World Trade Organization. Hopefully the U.S. won't intervene in this dispute. Long live Aslan!

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:28 AM

surviving the holidays

In the movie When Harry Met Sally... we are treated to the following exchange:

Harry: Boy, the holidays are rough. Every year I just try to get from the day before Thanksgiving to the day after New Years.

Sally: A lot of suicides.

Harry: Hmm.

We made it through!

Posted by wrjacobs at 11:05 AM