trademarkin' the N word

Actor Damon Wayans wants to trademark the N word for use on a new line of clothing. Say what?!

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:42 AM

students smoking pipes

During the drive to work today I saw a male undergrad student light up a pipe. Now while there were not any others around at that moment, this dude has got to be smoking a pipe in an effort to impress people, right?! That is, unless he's the reincarnation of an 80 year-old man....

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:37 AM

Twin Cities Trader Joe's

For fans of the grocery store chain Trader Joe's, it appears that at least one store will be opening in St. Louis Park, and a second might be coming to St. Paul. It's about time!

Posted by wrjacobs at 11:30 AM

International Quirkyalone Day

Happy International Quirkyalone Day!

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:54 AM

best and worst 2005 movies

For some reason, this weekend I was compelled to think about my best and worst 2005 movies. Here's what I came up with: best = Crash and worst = She Hate Me. I know, She Hate Me came out in 2004, but I didn't see it till last year. Something told me that it would be a stinker so I put off the screening for a year. I should have delayed forever....

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:33 AM

Target sales associate (dis)appearances

Why is it that whenever one goes to Target s/he is surrounded by sales associates when shopping for stuff like toothpaste and TP -- items of which you know the exact location! -- but when help is actually needed the only red shirts around are on other customers? That happened to me today when I was trying to get a price on an unmarked nightstand. After wandering around looking for someone for 5 minutes, I went back and picked up the nightstand to take it to one of the price check scanners. What happened when I was halfway there? You guessed it, a Red Shirt appeared, but I finished the check myself...and eventually bought the thing. I should've asked for a discount at checkout....

Posted by wrjacobs at 3:29 PM

mociology

Wired magazine reports on a new academic area of study: "mociology" is "the study of how people adapt and use wireless technologies, from buying concert tickets to organizing political rallies. The field gets its name from mobile and sociology." Hhhmmm, this has intriguing possibilities....

Posted by wrjacobs at 12:56 PM

Super Bowl commercials

According to the USA Today Ad Meter, Bud Light won the 2006 "Ad Bowl" with its "Magic Fridge" spot. That was a good one, but the Ad Meter's #3 spot was my favorite: the FedEx "Cave Man" commercial. My bottom-rated commercial -- supermarket checkout person extolling the virtues of Miller Genuine Draft -- does not even appear on the Ad Meter chart, so I guess it was total stinker. Overall, also, this year's Ad Bowl spots were not that interesting; let's hope that Ad Bowl 2007 is more memorable....

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:35 AM

Bud Light Daredevil commercials

Bud Light has a new series of commercials featuring "Ted Ferguson, the Bud Light Daredevil". Stunts like staying late for work on a Friday (for a full 2 minutes past 5:00!) and listening to an entire John Tesh CD are hilarious, but he may have crossed the line with one I saw last night: "I will actually listen to my girlfriend!" Check it out ("Listening," episode #2) along with the others here.

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:43 AM