missed step on 24

Last night's epsiode of 24 introduced a new character -- Shari -- who (in her back story) had accused another character of sexual harassment while the two were at a different agency. Shari told new friend Chloe that "these things are hard to prove, so they let him go with a slap on the wrist." At the end of the show Shari got a pat on the back from her boss for a job well done. She immediately turned to Chloe and said "Did you see that? That was inappropriate!" Chloe made a face that said "Shari is a wacko who sees problems where there aren't any." This is a not good, because too many people think that sexual harassment is just in the eye of the beholder. Hopefully a future episode of 24 will throw Shari and her experiences in a more complicated light....

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:24 PM

manly men

Spike -- the "network for men" -- is in need of a more manly logo, it seems. I rarely watch Spike, but I liked the old logo. I guess I'm not a real manly man then....

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:56 AM

new Dr. Who

Zap2it has an interesting article about the latest incarnation of the Sci-Fi cult classic Doctor Who TV show, now airing on the Sci Fi Channel. I watched the premiere last Friday. It was OK, but many of the original episodes are still vividly imprinted on my brain, so it might be a while before I adjust to the re-imagined 21st century version....

Posted by wrjacobs at 5:22 PM

March snow

This morning a mid-March Twin Cities snowstorm is winding down. Normally I would be getting ready to go out for my favorite winter activity: shoveling snow. Alas, I'm still in a cast so there's probably very little I can do today. V joked that I should attach a plow to my crutches and use that on the fluffy stuff (6 inches or so out front!). Hhhmmm....

Posted by wrjacobs at 11:17 AM

doctors in an era of HMOs

Yesterday I had a 1-week checkup with the surgeon about my repaired achilles tendon. I asked him how I was able to limp around for 3 weeks thinking I had a sprained ankle: "don't ruptured achilles tendons usually result in a lot of pain and the inability to walk?" His answer? "Yes, but you're a tough guy." Man, I knew that HMOs pressure doctors to keep answers short to move patients in and out as quickly as possible, but DAMN, can a Brotha get at least two sentences!?!

Posted by wrjacobs at 6:54 PM

Empire of Care

Just before my achilles tendon surgery on Tuesday, two nurses were discussing how lucky Americans are to have great medical facilities instead of the scarcities experienced in the Philippines (one Filipina nurse had just returned from a trip there). I started to tell them to check out Empire of Care to read about how more than "luck" is involved, but since they were about to pump me full of drugs I figured that I should keep my mouth shut....

Posted by wrjacobs at 11:03 AM

new surgery experience

Yesterday I had surgery to repair a torn achilles tendon in my right ankle. Everything went fine, but I was a bit surprised about how the anesthesia worked this time. When I was a kid I had several operations to fix a urinary track problem, and remember a whooshing sound that got louder and louder before I went under. Yesterday, though, there was nothing! One minute I'm on my stomach in a pre-op room, the next I'm on my back in a recovery room. I wonder if (a) anesthesia works differently on kids vs adults, or (b) anesthesia medication has been improved over the years? Whatever the case, I hope I don't have to experience it again....

Posted by wrjacobs at 7:18 PM