Anasazi

I'm a huge fan of The X-Files, and recently started re-watching the series on DVD. Tonight I'm up to the season 2 episode that got me hooked for life: "Anasazi". The X-Files rules!

Posted by wrjacobs at 11:33 AM

soap sheets

Several months ago I received a package of "On-The-Go Soap Sheets" to be used as hand wipes. As these are dry sheets, I didn't think they'd be any good, so I dumped them in the bottom of my book bag. Today, though, I dug 'em out after a messy lunch and no napkins in sight. Surprise: they work pretty good!

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:30 PM

the dangers of gum popping

Just a few minutes ago a door-to-door salesperson came to my house. She (a pre-teen kid) made the fatal mistake of loudly smacking her gum while one house over. When I looked and saw a kid with a clipboard ringing my neighbor's doorbell I knew my house was next, but luckily I had enough time to get out of sight so I didn't have to answer the door. The last time I did that I got sucked in to buying a subscription to Ebony magazine.

Posted by wrjacobs at 5:58 PM

top jobs

According to Money Magazine, my job is #2 on a list of Best Jobs in America. Sweet!

Posted by wrjacobs at 3:24 PM

Gotan Project

The Gotan Project has just released a new CD, Lunatico, which -- in the words of my music aficionado brother-in-law -- is sick! The website contains a video of my favorite track, "Diferente." The video has too many funhouse-style mirror tricks for my taste, but is worth checking out....

Posted by wrjacobs at 5:46 PM

zoobuh e-mail

One of my nieces turned 7 today, and as a present I am opening a zoobuh e-mail account for her. She has been writing me from her dad's account for a few months now, so hopefully she'll love having her own. Wow, sending e-mail at 7! Welcome to the 21st century....

Posted by wrjacobs at 5:50 PM

women's bball

Last night the University of Maryland won the women's basketball championship. Their head coach was here at the U of Minnesota for the year that started our rise to power (which now may end given that four players and an assistant coach have left the program in the past two weeks) but bolted to Maryland at the end of the year. Many Gophers, then, were rooting against the Terps last night. I say this: Brenda, your game plan is better suited for the fun-and-gun ACC than the grind-and-defend Big 10, so go 'head on, grrrl!

Posted by wrjacobs at 3:09 PM

clock adjustment

This morning it took me about 20 minutes to "spring forward" all of the clocks in my house for daylight saving time (I'm still on crutches following achilles tendon surgery). I should have flown in an Indiana high school senior to do it, who only charged $10 per house.

Posted by wrjacobs at 5:51 PM