Celebrate General College

Tonight is the last GC Gala.

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:41 PM

commencement trouble

There was a controversial speech made last week at St. Thomas university here in Minnesota. Check out the story, and/or an amateur video

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:36 PM

end of TV's main season

With tomorrow's broadcast of Lost, the 2005-2006 TV season will be over (well, the shows I watch anyway). Luckily I only have a couple of weeks before the summer session starts, as the third season of The 4400 kicks off on June 11....

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:07 AM

light rail vs. bus

A proposed light rail line on the Central Corridor between Minneapolis and St. Paul will be slower than current express highway bus service, according to a new study. Yeah, but speed is not everything!

Posted by wrjacobs at 5:03 PM

no more crutches

Three months after surgery to repair a ruptured achilles tendon, today I was given permission to walk without them! I'm still in a walking boot, and will have to keep that on for at least 3 more weeks, but it definitely feels good to have just 2 legs again....

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:59 PM

ghosts in the kitchen

This weekend one of the lights in my kitchen went out. I thought the bulb had burned out, but it was just unscrewed a little; a half-twist turned it back on. Now I know I haven't messed with this bulb, and V hasn't either. We have an old house so things constantly creak and shift, but a bulb unscrewing itself?!? I just hope the ghosts don't graduate to something more destructive....

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:22 PM

Akeelah and the Bee

For Mother's Day V and I took a friend and the friend's mom to see Akeelah and the Bee, a wonderful movie. Critics have called it "unrealistic." True, but something like 90% of movies fall in this category, right!? This movie is a must-see!

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:53 PM

airplane and airport fun

More airplane fun (courtesy of a comment from Vix about yesterday's post): air toons.

V and I were routed through Charlotte, NC for flights to/from Cancun. On the return trip, WNBA player Tamecka Dixon walked past us while we sweated out a 3-hour delay for the connecting flight to Minneapolis. V gave me a hard time for commenting on Dixon's athletic walk. High-achieving athletes do have a cat-like way of walking, though, don't they!?

Posted by wrjacobs at 12:42 PM

airplane fun

On the plane ride down to Cancun last week the flight attendant added a little sauce to the usual pre-flight instructions: "Please take out the procedures card and follow along, or pretend to follow along," and "If the person next to you is a child or is acting like a child, please put the mask on them first." I don't know if this was because it was 6:30 in the morning, or if he was trying to atone for being late to the gate (and, thus, delaying departure), but it was a welcome jolt of humor to get the trip started right.

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:24 PM

the 19th century anthropologist

As part of the Cancun conference V's company brought in 2 motivational speakers. The first guy was cool, especially as he was a Minnesotan so I got all of his references to places/events/customs here. The second person was a complete dud. The program said that a PhD cultural anthropologist would inform us about Mayan culture and history, but he focused mostly on personal encounters and challenges in the field. Even worse, his discussion of present day Maya people could be summed up like this: "These people have nothing, but they are at peace." Where did they dig up this fool!? Doesn't he know that "the noble savage" hasn't been in vogue for, what, 30 or 40 years? After we left that B.S. early, we visited the Mayan ruins at Tulum. Our guide was a Mayan woman who had a nice mixture of knowledge, humor, and people skills; SHE should have been the 2nd motivational speaker! I doubt that a Fortune 500 company would ever hire a local to do a keynote, though, but they can definitely find an anthropologist who lives and thinks in the 21st century, like my home grrrl Bianet Castellanos. I'll have to write a letter to V's company with that suggestion....

Posted by wrjacobs at 12:42 PM

Cancun reflections

Last week I was in Cancun, Mexico for 5 days with V, who won a trip to attend her company's annual "Best of the Best" celebration. Over the next few days I'll post entries about stuff observed while there.

Posted by wrjacobs at 12:40 PM

earthworms in the rain

On several occasions I've noticed a large earthworm congregation after a storm, but today I witnessed a first: a dozen or so worms under my garage door (between the door and concrete; usually they are on the sidewalk). Weird.

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:34 PM