We are all search engines...

...driven to discover.

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:47 AM

a second thought is always good

Here's an example of why it's good to really reflect on ideas that might seem interesting at first: "a jihad on the automotive market"?

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:47 AM

my pirate name

My pirate name is:
Dirty Sam Bonney
You're the pirate everyone else wants to throw in the ocean -- not to get rid of you, you understand; just to get rid of the smell. You can be a little bit unpredictable, but a pirate's life is far from full of certainties, so that fits in pretty well. Arr!
Get your own pirate name from piratequiz.com.
part of the fidius.org network
Posted by wrjacobs at 4:54 PM

drive-thru rage

We live in troubled times: some fool shot up a fast food restaurant's drive-thru window.

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:40 PM

Entry 200

When I created this blog in November of 2004, I thought I'd only post three or four notes as a demo for students in my "Stories and Storytellers" class. Here it is almost two years later and I'm still going, with 200 posts and spot #43 on the list of UThink blogs with the most entries. Wow!

Posted by wrjacobs at 11:41 AM

top 10 movies

While surfing yesterday I came across a class blog that asks for the students' 10 favorite movies. Of course, that got me thinking about mine! In no particular order (trying to rank them would be a nightmare), they are:

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:56 AM

urban racoons

At the tail end of a major home renovation, there are 3 trash bags in the yard behind my house. This morning a hole was poked in one, and some leftover food pulled out. Another bag had the top untied, but nothing was missing. My contractor thinks that some racoons are the culprits. I can buy that with bag #1 (with the hole), but these critters can untie a knot?!? Damn!

Posted by wrjacobs at 3:59 PM

neighborhood kid's survey

Last night a kid from the neighborhood was going door to door doing a survey on pets. The kid's about 9 years old, and I think she lives about halfway down the block from me. I was surprised that she was walking around without a parent or older sibling in this age of Amber Alerts, but Prospect Park is a relatively safe and secluded 'hood. Also, it's cool to see parents encouraging their kids to venture out into unfamiliar territory....

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:24 PM

first day of classes

Today is one of my favorite days of the year, as I discussed in a post on this day last year. From 9-9:30 this morning I stood in the hallway here at Appleby Hall directing traffic for nervous, yet excited first year students. I can hardly believe that it's been 20 years since I also wandered around on the first day as a wide-eyed freshman (at Georgia Tech)....

Posted by wrjacobs at 11:15 AM