sorry Showtime

Last year I posted an entry that criticized Showtime for not showing an episode in its "Masters of Horror" series. Well, on Sunday I watched Imprint, and must apologize to Showtime, as it's definitely a disturbing movie, and probably is better suited to a niche DVD market than mass-market cable broadcast. My bad, Showtime!

Posted by wrjacobs at 11:34 AM

Driven to Answer

My colleague Heidi Barajas and I have an answer in The U's "Driven to Discover" branding campaign. I can't link directly to the question, but it's the 3rd one from the bottom, "Is a quality education a privilege, or does everyone have the right to be educated?"

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:29 PM

iPod on a string

Today I went downtown for lunch, and saw a 50ish White woman listening to an iPod. The weird thing was this: she had the iPod dangling from a lanyard worn around her neck! While I have to give this middle-aged person some love for having the latest hip gear, she lost cool points for putting it on a string vs. stashing it in her pocket....

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:10 PM

MN Daily article

On Tuesday a reporter from the campus newspaper interviewed me for an article that appeared today. He did a pretty good job of capturing what I said during our 20 minute conversation. I've got to learn the skill of talking in soundbites, though....

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:02 AM

faulty memories

You ever have a memory that you swear is dead-on accurate but a check of the facts reveals otherwise? For years I've known that my memory of the space shuttle Challenger explosion falls in this category, as it happened in January of 1986, not in January of 1988 as I recall. I still, however, see myself driving from my apartment to class at Ga. Tech when I hear the news, but in January of '86 I was carless and a senior in high school! Today I've discovered a second memory fault: I did not first watch The X-Files during the fall of 1992 as I can so clearly picture (I've just set up my very first TV surround-sound system and was clicking through channels to find something to test it on), as the show did not premiere 'till September 1, 1993. How can this happen to me not once, but twice!?!

Posted by wrjacobs at 5:26 PM

story reading

One of my favorite activities is reading short stories aloud. Last night I organized an outing where four couples got together to read stories and eat pizza. I read Saki's "The Lumber Room." As this was the first time several of the participants had met, we actually spent more time talking then telling stories. That's cool, though. Next time we'll get through more!

Posted by wrjacobs at 11:29 AM

new CEHD brand?

I just noticed that the College of Education and Human Development's website says that we are "Inspiring Minds." Hhhmmm, is this our new college brand, along lines of the all-university Driven to Discover campaign?

Posted by wrjacobs at 6:30 PM

school crisis drills

When I was in elementary school we had fire drills once or twice a year. These days schools have "crisis drills" that include "mass casuality units." Damn!

Posted by wrjacobs at 12:43 PM

still not scary

In the widely reprinted essay (such as in Speak My Name) "Confessions of a Nice Negro, or Why I Shaved My Head," slim and soft-voiced African-American professor Robin D. G. Kelley recounts how his newly bald head scared White people while he was out and about. I shaved my head back in June, but I'm still waiting for that to happen to me. On the contrary, I still get strangers asking me for directions, even when I'm walking around a strange town looking lost myself (well, at least I think I do), as was the case last week while I was visiting Purdue University. Interesting....

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:17 PM

Fall TV

Two of my favorite shows have premieres this week: Lost (tonight!) and Battlestar Galactica (on Friday). Ah, now fall has really begun....

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:11 PM