bus shoot-out

Last night a guy was shot at a downtown bus stop. The story does not say which bus routes were involved, though. I thought about hopping on the #16 last night to go downtown; I wonder if that was one of the routes!?!

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:54 AM

flying while Muslim

I've long known about "Driving While Black." Today I've discovered the related term "flying while Muslim" in a story about an airport pray-in.

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:57 AM

Battlestar Galactica

Have you ever seen the new version of the TV show Battlestar Galactica? You may be tempted to check it out after reading this story.

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:35 PM

diversity at potbelly

During peak lunch hours Potbelly restaurants usually have local musicians play from the loft above the seating area. Today I was greeted with a first when I got a sandwich in the Dinkytown store: the artist was an African-American gentleman in his late 40s, not the White college-age male artist I've always seen. Nice job, Potbelly! Unfortunately, though, Brotherman played the same modern folk stuff that the White guys play. Oh well; one step at a time....

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:14 PM

OJ's new book

O. J. Simpson has a forthcoming new book that explores how he "hypothetically" could have killed his wife and her friend. Yikes!

Posted by wrjacobs at 3:14 PM

music from the movies

"Have you ever heard a song from a movie and thought 'I want that song, but how do I find out what it is and where can I get it'? These resources will show you a way to get your hands on the classical music you hear in movies and on TV."

The above question (from About Entertainment: Classical Music) popped into my head yesterday while rewinding a three-minute stretch of The Lake House. Instead of a list of resources, though, wouldn't it be great to have a site where you could enter a movie title, then search through a list of all the music that appears in that movie (of all genres, not just classical), then download mp3s of desired songs?!? That would be very coolio, but I don't think that such a thing exists. I wonder if I should think about approaching a Venture Capitalist with this idea. If so, though, the best name -- Music From the Movies -- is already taken. Damn!

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:13 AM

Today is Veteran's Day?

At noon I went downtown to City Hall to get a rainleader ordinance permit, but was greeted with bemusement by the security guard: today is Veteran's Day, so everything is closed. I had NO idea that it is a holiday today.

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:06 PM

UMore Park community

One of the proposals for The U's UMore Park is to develop it into a visionary planned community. That would really be a key to Transforming the U!

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:53 PM

vote today!

There are lots of tools out there to inform us about the issues and candidates involved in today's election, such as at MyVote. Vote today!

Posted by wrjacobs at 11:19 AM

Halloween 2006

While we did not have as many trick-or-treaters as last year (when Halloween fell on a weekend, and it was much warmer), 40 or so kids trekked up to our door on Tuesday. An observation: in our 85% White neighorhood, all but 5 were children of color. Interesting....

Posted by wrjacobs at 5:36 PM