Freedom Theory

Two of my former students are part of a group that has just released a hip-hop/soul/acoustic CD. Check it out:

album cover

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:22 AM

evil smoke alarm

A couple of years ago I posted an entry about a smoke alarm battery expiring in the middle of the night. Well, last night the chirping of another dead smoke alarm battery woke me out of a sound sleep at 1:30 AM, then I slept fitfully until it was time to get up. I think that smoke alarms worldwide have decided to deliberately kill their batteries at the most inappropriate times in order to piss off their owners; they know that we can't really do anything besides gripe a little. It's a big conspiracy, I tell you!

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:15 PM

the influence of movies

Last week I attended a conference in Ohio. Each time I went in to my hotel room I immediately locked and bolted the door, so that I would not get Derailed. While I was alone vs. messin' around with someone's wife as in the movie, I was not gonna take any chances on having some fool bum rush the door and start up some stuff....

Posted by wrjacobs at 7:10 PM

new glasses

Back in August I bought a new pair of eyeglasses, my first new pair in 7 years. I wanted to keep the same style I had, but the staff convinced me to go with something that (I admit) looks better. The problem, though, is that my new style is very trendy, and I'm an anti-trend cat. I eventually made my peace with this, but it was disturbed last night while watching 24: one of the bad guys -- Jack's brother (!) -- had on the same pair! At least that's what I thought at first, but a close-up revealed that there are a few minor differences. What a relief, as for a minute I thought that I'd have to dump my glasses and eat $600....

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:31 AM

Black NFL head coaches

I did not watch yesterday's NFL football AFC championship game because I figured that the N.E. Patriots would find a way to beat the Indianapolis Colts, and a quick check of the score at halftime (21-6) seemed to confirm my prediction. Luckily I was wrong, and the Colts will head off to the Super Bowl to face the Chicago Bears! The best part, though, is that for the first time two African-American head coaches will face each other (Tony Dungy for the Colts, Lovie Smith for Da Bears), so history will be made. I'll be pulling slightly for the Colts, so afterwards Colts QB Peyton Manning can come out with some new Mastercard commerials....

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:12 AM

an idea for "24" season 7

In the 24 Season 6 Premiere Jack Bauer found himself battling a familiar enemy: Islamic fundamentalists. Next year the producers should give him a new enemy. Maybe it can even be a radical combination of people, like former Black Panthers teaming up with a White supremacist organization!? That would shake things up a bit!

Posted by wrjacobs at 6:29 PM

influence of Office Space

Today I called my dentist's office to check in on an insurance billing problem: "Should I go ahead and mail in a check now, and then your office will send a refund later?" In the movie Office Space a main character uses the construction "Go ahead and X" quite a bit. Man, that movie is a bad influence!

Posted by wrjacobs at 3:54 PM

first day of class

I've discussed my love of the first day of fall classes in previous posts. The first day of the spring semester is also usually a good day. I'm not teaching this semester, so I attended the first day of a colleague's Child Literature class. Now I want to go home and read....

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:21 PM

secret adventures

Today at lunch I received a fortune cookie that said, "a secret adventure is in store for you." The fortune does not, however, tell if this adventure will be good or bad....

Posted by wrjacobs at 12:21 PM

correcting regrets

The Sci Fi Wire reports that Fox is developing a pilot for a TV show about two detectives who help clients go back in time to change events that they regret. Very interesting! I'll definitely tune in.

Posted by wrjacobs at 12:21 PM

neighbor's Christmas toy

One of my neighbors, it seems, received an all-terrain vehicle as a Christmas present, as today he was out plowing the sidewalk after an overnight snow. And he was not just plowing his sidewalk, or his sidewalk plus the sidewalk next door, or the sidewalks of 2 or 3 more houses. No, he went up and down both sides of the block (11 or 12 houses total)...twice! Luckily I was just finishing up my sidewalk and driveway when he roared past; I love shovelling snow so if this fool had deprived me of that pleasure it would have been on, baby!

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:06 PM