one year ago today...

...I had surgery to repair a torn achilles tendon, then I spent three months in a cast. Hopefully that will never happen again....

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:20 AM

southern adventures 3

While waiting for my hotel shuttle bus after my cancelled flight yesterday, a minivan pulled up and the driver -- a middle-aged African-American gentleman -- asked, "Anyone going to the Ramada?" After getting no takers he rolled off, and I noticed a small sign on his van: "Driving Miss Daisy Shuttle Service." Say what!? Maybe he should have announced "I'm tryin' to drive you to the store!"

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:52 PM

southern adventures 2

As I noted in the entry below, I made it to Nashville with no problems, but had no such luck getting out yesterday: my connecting flight in Chicago was cancelled because of weekend snowstorms, and no other open seats to MSP were available that day on any other airline. So for the first time ever I had to extend a trip because of bad weather! This was the first time I've had a connection in Chicago, so maybe I should not schedule that again....

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:27 PM

southern adventures 1

Over the weekend I had several adventures while attending the NCTEAR conference in Nashville. First up: a 30-minute window to make a connecting flight in St. Louis to get there. Given the possibility of missing the connection on a delayed first leg, I packed some clothes in my carry-on bag to make sure I had some clean underwear for the next day! "How in the world does the booking system allow such a short layover?" I wondered. The answer: the plane for the second leg was the one I was on for the first segment! So even though I had to get off briefly for the plane to be cleaned, no mad sprint down the concourse would be required. Nice!

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:19 PM

too much travel

Usually I go to one conference a year, but this year I'm attending many more. Tomorrow, for example, I'll be jetting off for the third time in a month! I've got to get back to a slower pace....

Posted by wrjacobs at 3:01 PM

hiking around San Francisco

From Thursday through Sunday I was in San Francisco to attend the San Francisco Writers Conference at a hotel on top of Nob Hill. Each morning I hiked up the hill from the Powell Street BART station, and each day for lunch I roamed up and down other hills. I think I did more walking in four days than I usually do in four weeks!

Posted by wrjacobs at 5:02 PM

International Quirkyalone Day

Happy International Quirkyalone Day!

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:50 AM

adventures in 13

This morning I thought that my Triskadekaphobia was in full effect, as after I reprogrammed the garage door opener the whole system died! On attempt #2 thirty minutes later, though, I got things to work. Hopefully I will not have any problems when I get home today....

Posted by wrjacobs at 12:38 PM

crazy Minnesotans

I've always told my Southern relatives that one becomes a real Minnesotan the first time s/he goes out with an unzipped coat in 20 degree weather following a week or so of sub-zero temps. Today was the first day in the 20s after a two-week cold snap, and lots of people were out without their big coats. I also saw some fool driving a convertable with the top down! In 23-degree weather!! DAMN!!!

Posted by wrjacobs at 6:21 PM

Is Barak Obama Black?

Maybe not, according to a guest on The Colbert Report.

Posted by wrjacobs at 11:22 AM

movie news

After seeing a trailer for the upcoming movie Bridge to Terabithia I was worried that it would not be faithful to the book at all, but the ads mislead. Cool.

In other movie matters, check out an interesting post about Pan's Labyrinth, but only if you've seen the movie since the post contains major spoliers.

Posted by wrjacobs at 5:37 PM

science and politics

Science magazine's 2006 list of top scientific breakthroughs ranked the solution of a 106 year-old mathematical problem as the #1 achievement, instead of a development in a pressing contemporary issue such as global warming. Was this right? Check out episode 2179 of the "Engines of Our Ingenuity."

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:46 PM

2007 Ad Bowl

According to the USA Today ad meter, the best Super Bowl XLI commercial was a Budweiser spot with crabs worshiping an ice chest, and the worst was the salesgenie.com ad. I agree about the selection for worst, but the Bud crab spot was just so-so to me. My favorite landed at #4 on the ad meter: a Doritos-eating driver crashes while gawking at a pedestrian who is also munching Doritos. Live the Flavor! (Creatively, at least; I'm not a Doritos eater.)

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:22 AM

bbbbbrrrrrr!!!

This morning my car displayed a temp of -17 degrees, and a radio announcer said that windchills were 20 to 30 degrees below zero. Bbbbbrrrrrr!!! I have had one colder experience, though: in late December of 1989 I woke to a 20 below/40 below windchill day here in Minnesota, one that froze the car's gas filter. I had to climb under with a hair dryer to thaw it. Now THAT was a cold day!

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:03 AM

Pan's Labyrinth

Pan's Labyrinth is superbly wonderful! It's currently #1 on my list of 2007 movies, and might still be in that spot on December 31....

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:35 PM

Ad Bowl pre-game

For the first time in several years I'll watch tomorrow's Super Bowl more for the game than for the commercials, but hopefully the ads will be entertaining. Then afterwards I might have to check out the Ad Bowl web tie-ins.

Posted by wrjacobs at 8:56 AM

Super Bowl weekend

Outside temperatures may not rise above zero for the next few days here in Minneapolis, but it will be a hot weekend in other ways. On Sunday, of course, I'll be watching Super Bowl XLI. On Saturday I'll probably go check out Pan's Labyrinth. I've been eagerly awaiting this movie ever since I found out about it last summer, so I can't believe that I let two weeks go by after its Twin Cities premiere....

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:07 PM