forever stamps

So the new forever stamps go on sale April 12, and the price of first class stamps goes up to 41 cents on May 14. Man, I wish I had known this before buying a book of 39-cent stamps a couple of weeks ago. Oh well, at least I got a cool design: Gee's Bend Quilt stamps.

Posted by wrjacobs at 5:21 PM

suburban surprises

On Saturday V wanted to see Pan's Labyrinth, which was only playing in two places that night. Since neither of us likes The Lagoon Theater very much, we decided to trek 20 miles to Maple Grove. I thought we were going to a relatively new stadium-seating gigaplex, but was surprised to find that the movie was playing at a much older place a couple of blocks away. Once inside, I was greeted with a couple of additional surprises. First, tickets were only $3 each, and I got a large popcorn and small Coke for just $8. Second, in the small crowd was a male/female couple who left a seat empty between them (!). Now, I know why two guys would do this (the "not gay seat," to use the non-vulgar expression), but a man and a woman? If they were on a date they would, of course, be next to each other, and if friends they would be comfortable with close contact. Ah, maybe that points us in the right direction: they are in limbo as friends vs. something else, so the guy wanted to signal that he was not interested in the something else? Whatever the case, it was weird.

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:44 AM

The U as propaganda machine

Yesterday I got stopped by a cat in front of the student union, who asked me, "Yo, how come the people around here look like they've been brainwashed?" My response: "I don't know. Last week was spring break, so they don't really want to be here this week." He thanked me and walked away. A few minutes later I realized that I failed to read his query correctly. Essentially, I think, he wanted to comment on the university as a propaganda machine, a space where students get force-fed information that maintains the status quo rather than a place where they are provided the opportunity to really think and challenge common assumptions. I wish that I had grasped his point and then talked to him about it....

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:18 PM

the power of writing

"When I'm writing, I am trying to find out who I am, who we are, what we're capable of, how we feel, how we lose and stand up, and go on from darkness into darkness" (Maya Angelou). Indeed....

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:09 AM

Riverview Theater

Usually I see movies in new stadium-seating gigaplexes, but yesterday I saw Happy Feet at an Old School theater, the Riverview. Altough the movie was disappointing --too many adult themes were layered on a kids' story...and they weren't done very well (for example, the "bad" penguins had Mexican accents) -- I enjoyed the overall experience. A medium Coke and a medium popcorn -- with real butter! -- for only $5?! Can't beat that!

Posted by wrjacobs at 11:01 AM

March Madness

March Madness begins today, but for the first time in years I'm not participating in an office pool, and I did not pay much attention to the 2007 version of bracketology. Maybe next year.

Posted by wrjacobs at 5:41 PM

Go-To card test

I can't believe that I missed an opportunity to participate in the latest public test of the Go-To card system. Metro Transit says that the mass release of the cards is "coming soon," but I've heard that for almost four years now. I just hope that the latest bus violence doesn't cause a significant additional delay....

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:03 PM

springing forward

Daylight Saving Time began today, so I have to manually adjust most of my clocks. In all, 14 devices need to be adjusted by hand: 4 clock radios, 2 TVs, 2 thermostats, 2 appliances, 1 wall clock, 1 car clock, 1 office desk clock, and 1 Palm Pilot. I've got too many time pieces!

Posted by wrjacobs at 11:03 AM

BSG fan movies

Check this out: fans of the TV show Battlestar Galactica have been encouraged to download video, music, and sound effects for use in a four-minute movie contest! Wow, I wish I had a video camera and some time to come up with something....

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:43 AM

history lesson

After watching Flyboys last night I tried to remember what incident caused (more or less) the U.S. to enter World War I. Today one of my colleagues -- a historian -- provided the answer: the sinking of the Lusitania.

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:35 AM

Head Scarf Society

Move over, red hats, the Head Scarf Society is in the house!

Posted by wrjacobs at 3:53 PM

inventing the city street

This morning I learned about the development of the city street system. Interesting stuff!

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:08 AM

too much snow

While I enjoy shovelling my sidewalk and driveway, yesterday's storm that dumped a foot of snow was a bit extreme. I went out to shovel four times yesterday, and have been out once today. I'll have to go out at least one more time after the plow comes through and creates a big ridge in front of the driveway. Also, two more inches of snow are expected! I think I'll be happy if this is the last time we get snow this season....

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:08 AM