Go-To Card in hand!

After an almost 4-year delay, I finally have my Go-To Card, which I bought downtown today after lunch. I didn't get to test it yet, though, as I had the car. I'll use my new card this weekend....

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:43 PM

a new twist on road rage

"Women stop car, fight in center lane of I-694".

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:40 AM

learning from the movies

Last Sunday I watched the 1962 movie To Kill a Mockingbird, in which a character was instructed to "bust up a chifforobe." Chifforobe?!? I had to look that up, and found this: a chifforobe is a "piece of furniture that combines a long space for hanging clothes (that is, a wardrobe or armoire) with a chest of drawers." OK then.

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:01 AM

bomb threats and video recruiting

Yesterday several University of Minnesota buildings were evacuated due to a bomb threat. As I left Appleby Hall a big Girls Gone Wild tour bus was slowly rolling through campus. What a crazy juxtaposition....

Posted by wrjacobs at 12:37 PM

VT tragedy: crime and ethnicity

"Why did he have to be a ... ?"

Posted by wrjacobs at 12:27 PM

Madison's State Street

Late last week (Thursday through Saturday) I was at the University of Wisconsin for a conference. I was able to walk down State Street several times. That is one cool strip!

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:28 PM

ancient rock music

On the bulletin board of the Dinkytown Potbelly is a notice advertising piano lessons in "ancient rock music." Huh? Maybe this cat smoked something past its prime just before he typed that up....

Posted by wrjacobs at 5:01 PM

house lemonade

Yesterday I noticed a drip in my kitchen's ceiling, which turned out to be a broken drain pipe from the bathroom sink directly above. While my contractor and I were tearing out part of the ceiling to investigate things I said, "well, this will be a good time to install a range vent hood since we now have this channel for the exhaust duct work." Yes, I like to make lemonade out of busted-up lemons.

Posted by wrjacobs at 5:17 PM

cavemen on TV

The GEICO cavemen could maybe possibly have their own TV show in the fall. Sweet!

Posted by wrjacobs at 3:06 PM