30 years of Star Wars

Tomorrow is the 30th anniversary of the release of Star Wars. I saw it for the first time in late June or early July of 1977 in Easley, SC, and watched it two more times that summer. It was indeed a milestone movie fo me: first time I saw a movie more than once, launched a life-long love of sci-fi, and made it OK to be a geek. Thank you, Star Wars!

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:11 AM

Gold Medal Park

On Wednesday Minneapolis opened Gold Medal Park. I went to check it out yesterday. It's very cool in the day, but might be even more stunning at night. Well, at least the twilight photos look great; I'll go back this weekend to see for myself.

Posted by wrjacobs at 3:46 PM

a good mess??

Possessing a neat house may be an over-rated goal, claims an article in today's Star Tribune. That's blasphemy!!

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:48 PM

Freedom Theory

album cover

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:25 AM

end of the 30s

Yesterday I turned 39, so one more year before the big 4-0! I have enjoyed years 30-38; hopefully the 39th will be a good one too....

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:07 PM

CEHD Commencement

Tonight the College of Education and Human Development will hold its 2007 Commencement. Bring on the Pomp and Circumstance!

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:25 PM

journey to the 1950s and back again

On Monday I received an ad for Mother's Day products that featured the following graphic:

moms.jpg

Note that all of the Moms are White (well, dining and/or pampered & pretty Moms might be bi-racial); I thought that the advertisers' code mandates that at least one obviously "ethnic" person be included in each spot?!

Yesterday I was catapulted back to this century, when a UPS driver handed me a package out in the front yard of my house, even though I was grungy from cutting the grass. I thought, "how does she know this is my house without asking for ID," but was impressed that I was given the benefit of the doubt....

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:09 PM

first letter

Today a letter arrived from my oldest niece (who is 8), the first snail mail she's ever sent! Before the age of email I enjoyed sending and receiving postal mail, so hopefully today's letter is the first of many....

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:43 PM

first use of Go-To Card

Last Friday I posted a note about getting my Go-To card. I used it for the first time today, and it appears that there will be some permanent bugs in the system. When I first used the card it worked fine right out of the gate when boarding the train to the Mall of America, but on my return trip I got a "card read error" message, and then the machine read the card. Just before exiting the Lake St. station, though, when checking my account balance I had to get through seveal read failures before the amount was displayed. Oh well, I'm still glad to have my card!

Posted by wrjacobs at 8:39 PM

custom stamps

Yesterday I received an invite to my brother-in-law's wedding, one which featured a custom stamp made from a photo. Wow, I didn't know that one could do this!

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:46 AM

May 1

Happy May Day.

Posted by wrjacobs at 11:18 AM