iPhone

As much as I'd love to grab a cool new iPhone on Friday, today's announced prices extinguished that desire. I guess that $60 a month (plus $500 for the phone) is worthwhile to many, but my current phone was free and I pay $20 for 60 anytime minutes/300 weekend...and I don't even use the 60 minutes! Oh well....

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:49 PM

300

This is my 300th blog entry. To celebrate, I just added the movie 300 to my Netflix queue.

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:13 AM

memoir cover

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:08 PM

memoir publication

My memoir Ghostbox just became available via the iUniverse online bookstore. My author copies don't arrive for another two weeks, though, so hopefully everything will look good!

Posted by wrjacobs at 11:24 AM

NE Minneapolis parade

Yesterday I attended my first Northeast Minneapolis parade, which featured several marching bands, which I love. I'll have to make sure that I go every year....

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:01 PM

interesting book passages

I just finished the novel The Rope Walk. Two passages really caught my eye:

"It seemed that in order to save oneself, again and again, one had to fight one's own instincts, one had to gain mastery over all the urgent imperatives of flesh and blood. One had to be less of oneself, in order to try and preserve that self" (p. 132).

"It was strange how electricity masked the actual sound of things, she thought, this deep silence that must be there all the time, lying beneath the hum of the lights" (p. 309).

Intriguing, no?

Posted by wrjacobs at 12:22 PM

be the change

"Today I made up my mind: I gotta get it together. If I can be the change I wanna see, then I can live forever" (from "Forever," by Freedom Theory).

Posted by wrjacobs at 11:12 AM

the end of BSG

Oh no, Battlestar Galactica will end after one more season. Oh well, at least it will go out while still fresh vs. shows that drag on too long, like three more years of Lost.

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:09 AM

neighborhood festival

This afternoon is the Pratt Ice Cream Social. I'm scheduled to work games from 5:30-6:30, and be a tour guide for the Witch's Hat Tower from 8-9. I hope that it doesn't rain....

Posted by wrjacobs at 3:00 PM