book signing

At 7:00PM on October 4, 2007 I will hold an author reading and book signing of my memoir Ghostbox. The event will be held in the Coffman Union bookstore on the campus of the University of Minnesota.

Posted by wrjacobs at 6:51 PM

ST:TNG 20th anniversary

Wow, I can't believe that Star Trek: The Next Generation is about to turn 20 years old (on September 28)! Check out an Entertainment Weekly article about the show's creation.

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:25 AM

Jena 6

The "Jena 6" are six African-American teens facing jail time after racial unrest in Jena, LA. For information, see stories on Wikipedia, NPR, the Color of Change, and YouTube.

Posted by wrjacobs at 8:24 PM

Orlando Jones

Normally I'm a big fan of actor Orlando Jones, but in the movie Primeval his character says this: "I'm never gonna say this in front of a bunch of white people. Slavery was a good thing. Anything to get the f*&^ out of Africa is a good thing." Orlando, my brother, why did you accept this role!?! You just set our people back 300 years....

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:09 PM

TV broadcasting error

Last night The Dead Zone TV show went to commercial break at 9:30 as usual, but when it came back on the previous 10 minutes were re-shown! After the next commercial break the show picked up in the right place, so we had missed 10 minutes. Hhhmmm, I don't think that this is the type of error TV executives want to make in the effort to lure in more viewers.

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:40 AM

iPhone price drop

I knew there was a reason for me to wait before buying an iPhone: the price was just cut by $200. I may wait a little longer, though, as I still don't use many minutes, and I'm not sure if it is compatible with UMCal.

Posted by wrjacobs at 8:23 PM

first day of classes

Today is the first day of classes, my favorite day of the year, as I've written in previous entries (2005, 2006). Today should be especially exciting since I'm in a new department and in a different part of campus. Happy first day of classes, everyone!

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:41 AM

last day of summer

It's the last day of the summer. (Officially, summer ends on September 22 or something, but Labor Day is always the last real day of summer, as school is back in the next day). As I reported two weeks ago, I saw very few movies this summer. Tonight I'll add one more to the list: The Bourne Ultimatum.

Posted by wrjacobs at 6:01 PM

marriage

"Marriage for the most part appears to be a series of mostly comfortable silences punctuated by joy, despair, and sudden dialogues that serve to calibrate the relationship, bring it up to speed, reassure and inform, after which we lapse back into our own quiet worlds" (Daniel Wallace, in the short story "A Terrible Thing"). Hhhmmm...

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:38 AM