October 31

Happy Halloween! As usual, I'll only celebrate by passing out candy to trick-or-treating neighborhood kids....

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:59 AM

bad movie theater design

Back in January the owners of the AMC Rosedale 14 admitted that its outdoor ticket office was a bad idea. I rolled past the theater this weekend and saw that construction on an enclosure has begun.

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:21 AM

Heroes

One of my TV shows, Heroes, is blogged about on Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast.

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:11 PM

historic neighborhood destrict

My neighborhood of Prospect Park is seeking national historic district status on the National Register of Historic Places. This process has attracted the attention of the U of M student newspaper.

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:00 PM

#31

This is my 346th entry, which moves "Planet Walt" into a tie for #31 on the list of blogs with the most entries. The AA&AS chair's blog, on the other hand, has 37 entries, so it has a long way to go before it hits the Top 50 list, if ever.

Posted by wrjacobs at 5:28 PM

memoir at Target

Yesterday I discovered that my memoir is available via Target's online store! I wondered if it was also in a physical store, but a check of the nearest location revealed that I would have no such luck. Oh well, at least the book is popping up in unusual places! Now if only Oprah would give me a call....

Posted by wrjacobs at 5:20 PM

using an old name plate

In the summer of 1986 I worked as an engineering intern, and received a sliding metal name plate for my cubicle. None of the other cubes and offices I've had since then have used a similar system...until now, as the door to my current office has a slot for metal name plates, and that very first one fits! So after 21 years of sitting in a box it lives again!

Posted by wrjacobs at 3:59 PM

Doodle

Last week I set up a meeting after checking participants' schedules via a Doodle poll. Ah, the wonders of the web....

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:28 PM

first deleted entry

I just had to delete a 2005 post because it somehow got "infected," i.e., attracted tons of junk comments. Hopefully the junk that went to that particular post won't be re-directed to other postings!

Posted by wrjacobs at 3:01 PM

a history of rope

The following post is from my AA&AS chair's blog.

Leonard Pitts' Miami Herald op-ed piece on "A history of rope" is being widely posted to the Net, such as on TheState.com. Pitts argues, "you might say the country has changed since [the early 1900s], and it has. The problem is, it's changing again." Indeed.

Posted by wrjacobs at 11:02 AM

#33

This is my 341st blog entry, which puts me at #33 on the list of blogs with the most entries. Wow! I never would have imagined that a November 2004 demo for a class project would still be going 3 years later....

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:10 PM

stereotypes in action

Today I ran a quick errand to the Mall of America, and grabbed some takeout from Tiger Sushi. The teen who took my order had a look that said, "Negroes eat sushi?" Either that or "Please don't rob the place." I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it was the first stereotype in action....

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:05 PM

back of the bus

The University of Minnesota has a free campus shuttle bus system. On Friday I boarded the WABC bus and went to the back seat when that shuttle bus pulled up to a layover stop. Five minutes later it departed with me as the only passenger. I asked myself, "Would Rosa Parks be mad at me for sitting in the back of the bus?" Naw, she would have applauded me for going to the warmest place on a chilly day!

Posted by wrjacobs at 8:54 PM

fall TV shows

I watched Pushing Daisies for the first time last night (after missing last week's series premiere). I liked it, but it did not quite meet all the hype, IMHO. I'll keep watching, however. Another new show that I've given up on, though, is Bionic Woman. I had sky-high expectations for that show, from the creator of my #1 show of last year, Battlestar Galactica. Oh well....

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:34 AM

power tools

Three years ago V and I bought a 1912 house and have been doing renovations every summer. Usually I use power tools my contractor brings over, in addition to a drill he bought us as a wedding present. Today I bought some more stuff of my own -- the Ryobi lithium combo -- and (a) used the Sawz-All to cut off some rusty bolts, and (b) used the circular saw to turn plywood into drawer inserts. Bring on the next project, baby!

Posted by wrjacobs at 6:37 PM

memoir reading

On October 4 I held a reading and signing of my memoir Ghostbox. About 50 people showed up, and I knew almost everyone; five were strangers, and only one of those looked like she was forced to go and did not enjoy herself...I think that a colleague assigned attendance as an optional event for her writing class. Another stranger was a student who wanted to videotape the reading as part of a journalism class project. Also, one of my current students showed up and bought a copy. Finally, 24 of the 25 copies on hand were sold! So, all in all, a good night....

Posted by wrjacobs at 6:22 PM

Instant Getification

Ask.com has unveiled a new ad campaign: Instant Getification. I saw an ad for the first time last night. It was cool, but I'll probably still use google....

Posted by wrjacobs at 3:10 PM