why Obama should be Prez

The December issue of The Atlantic Monthly has an interesting story about why Barak Obama should win the presidency in 2008. Check it out!

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:08 AM

zafu

The December Atlantic Monthly has a story about tools for finding better fitting clothes, such as at zafu.com. Looks like they only have stuff up and running for women's clothes so far, so I'll have to check back in later. For as long as I can remember I've been wearing Levi's Silver Tab jeans, but this year's crop was awful (way too flimsy and a weird thread pattern), so I switched over to another brand that doesn't fit as well. Hopefully, though, Silver Tab will be back to normal next year....

Posted by wrjacobs at 7:50 PM

Thanksgiving 2007

As usual, I went down south for Thanksgiving. This year was not so fun, though:

• The 2-hour drive from the ATL to my grandmother's house in South Carolina took almost 4 hours.

• I caught a bug from my 2 year-old niece and was in bed all day Friday, after a night of being mostly in the bathroom.

• I had recovered enough on Saturday to make the drive back to Atlanta, but V is now sick.
Hopefully Thanksgiving 2008 will be much less eventful....

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:55 PM

a pizza deal?

I've ordered lots of stuff online, but never pizza. Tonight I had an online-only coupon to Papa John's, so I went to the site to see about placing an order. I did not get very far, though, given that (a) the system kept rejecting the perfectly valid coupon code, and (b) it appeared that I had to create an account vs. placing a one-time only order. I guess that some things are better done the old-fashioned way....

Posted by wrjacobs at 8:47 PM

4:00AM adventures

This morning V and I left the house at 4:00AM so that she could catch a 5:20AM flight. Along the way back a few interesting things happened:

• For the first time ever, I drove on a road for 5+ miles and did not see another car.

• I drove past the new Midtown Greenway bridge. I walked across it last weekend, but this was my first time seeing it in the dark. It has very cool blue lights.

• Close to home I made a right turn despite a new "No Turn On Red" sign and heard sirens(!). Luckily it was a fire truck....

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:30 AM

technical difficulties

Yesterday the University's blog server went down, just after I posted an entry to the AA&AS chair's blog. Here's the thing: the posting contained an error, and I had to wait until this morning to correct it! Ggggggrrrrrr.

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:41 AM

real hip hop

"You would rather have a Lexus, or Justice? A dream, or some substance? A beamer, a necklace, or freedom?" (Dead Prez, "Hip Hop"). Word!

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:30 AM

first snow

This morning I looked out the window and saw some stuff floating past. "Hey," I grumbled, "I thought all of the leaves were down?" A closer look revealed that the stuff was snow flurries, the first of the season! Time to unpack snow shovels and ice scrapers....

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:39 AM

Midtown Greenway bike bridge

Yesterday I forgot to go over to the grand opening of the new Midtown Greenway bike bridge. Dang!

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:34 AM

today's fortune cookie message

My fortune cookie message from lunch today: "You are able to analyze objectively and express yourself clearly." That was definitely an auspicious sign at the end of a discussion with one of my mentors about being a department chair!

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:00 PM

falling back

Back on March 11 we "sprung forward" to start Daylight Saving Time. Today DST ended, and we "fell back." I've replaced one of the old clocks with one that has an automatic DST setting, so that's one less clock to manually reset....

Posted by wrjacobs at 6:19 PM

use of leftover candy

Last night I bought four bags of candy but only distributed a bag and a half to Halloween trick-or-treaters. Last year I bought three bags and gave nearly all of it away, so I don't quite know what happened this year. Today I'll take one bag to class to pass out to my students. Maybe I should hold on to the other one until the end of the term for use to raise my teaching evaluation scores :).

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:37 AM