the nature of wisdom

Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast has posted a great entry about Toni Morrison's take on Barack Obama's wisdom.

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:17 PM

Target at The Quarry

I just discovered that the Target at Minneapolis' Quarry shopping center is being expanded. I hope that it doesn't become a SuperTarget, which are insanely huge: items that you need are never close to each other, so you are forced to wander around searching for stuff....

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:47 PM

Chairin' Ain't Easy

There's a new book out called Pimpin' Ain't Easy: Selling Black Entertainment Television. I'm gonna have to title my next book Chairin' Ain't Easy, especially if I ever have to stay in my office until midnight again, like I did last night....

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:28 PM

Black men on campus

According to a recent study, most Negro men on many college campuses are athletes. Damn, I thought this was 2008, not 1908!

It's been a while since somebody thought I was an athlete; I think that was back in my second or third year as a professor (!). The White guy who did so thought I was a basketball player, of course. Maybe if I beef up another 10 pounds or so the next guy will think I'm a tight end on the football team. (I guess I could be a wide receiver, but my walk is not quite springy enough for that.)

Posted by wrjacobs at 8:45 PM

the end of an era

Today I went to the campus bookstore to pick up some notebooks for the spring semester. I wanted to get the same type I've bought for the last 8.5 years, but couldn't find them at first. In the slot where they normally appear were some of similar size, but they were college ruled vs my preferred narrow rule, and also had perforated sheets that too easily tear off and fall out. I dug down into the bin and found five old ones, of which I grabbed the three I'll need for the semester. When the fall semester rolls around I fear that I'll have to switch to another type of notebook....

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:08 PM

movie sneak-ins

Yesterday afternoon I did a sneak-in double feature to see Alien vs. Predator 2 and I Am Legend. Both were sparsely populated (less than 10 peeps for both), and both times I was the only one there until a few minutes before the movie started. This was fine for the first show, but I was getting worried before movie #2: if there were no paying customers, would the film be screened?! Are films in googleplexes shown on an automatic timer no matter what, or does the switch get clicked on only if tickets are sold? Hhhmmm....

Posted by wrjacobs at 3:35 PM

New Year's Eve celebrations

Happy New Year! As usual, I did not do anything special last night for New Year's Eve (and was asleep before midnight). Five years ago I attended a New Year's Eve wedding of friends, and in high school I went to a New Year's Eve and Day youth mini-camp. Other than that, the only thing I occassionally do is watch the Times Square Ball countdown. Next year I'll have to try something different....

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:02 AM