November 2008: Yes, We Can!

Posted by wrjacobs at 11:05 PM

cell phone boombox

Today a teenager was walking down the street using his cell phone as a mini-boombox. I wonder if he lost his headphones, or if this is some new trend? Whatever the case, it was weird....

Posted by wrjacobs at 8:33 PM

online TV comedy

I posted a number of videos from TV shows by Black comics (like Dave Chappelle and Richard Pryor) to the website for my People's U Black TV Comics class.

Posted by wrjacobs at 8:06 PM

the non-fortune cookie

Today after having lunch at a favorite Chinese restaurant I opened a fortune cookie that did not have a fortune inside (!). What does that mean?!?

Posted by wrjacobs at 8:56 PM

parents' first day with new tech

There's a new Verizon commercial where two African American children are at a curb with their parents. In a nice inversion of first day of school jitters, the kids patiently explain new phone gadgets to apprehensive Mom and Dad. "Call or text if you need help," the kids announce as the parents board their car pool. I can't find the video online, though; when it appears somebody let me know!

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:26 PM

Black political leadership

The New York Times has posted a long article on Black political leadership: "Is Obama the End of Black Politics?" The article can also be downloaded.

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:16 PM

misleading newspaper headline

While browsing today's online Minneapolis Star-Tribune I came across the following headline: "Rage Against the Machine to play during RNC" (!). My first reaction: how much money did they get to sell out!?! As it turns out, though, the actual story is about RATM playing at an event unrelated to the Republican National Convention, but held during the same week. I wonder if the editors intentionally mislabeled the headline in order to attract more eyeballs?

Posted by wrjacobs at 6:10 PM

strange summer

Today was the first day I rode my bike...and it's August 2! That's not the only weird thing about this summer, though. Other items:

• Movie theater visits number in the single digits
  • None of the movies have been great
  • For the first time in 5 years I don't have any summer TV shows; last year I watched The Dead Zone and The 4400, both of which were cancelled :(
  • First summer of no basketball (following a May 14 retirement)
  • No tennis yet because of a sore left knee
  • No big house repair/remodelling projects
Hopefully the summer of 2009 will be more exciting!

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:37 PM