Spike Lee's movies

Last night I saw the new Spike Lee joint, Miracle at St. Anna. Strangely, before Friday I did not even know that Spike Lee had a new movie in release (!); a friend emailed in the morning to suggest that we check it out. 20 years ago I would have known months in advance and been at the theater on opening day! Well, at least I made it to opening weekend....

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:01 PM

Trouble the Water

The documentary Trouble the Water "opens the day before Katrina makes landfall, just blocks away from the French Quarter but far from the New Orleans that tourists know. Kimberly Rivers Roberts is turning her video camera on herself and her 9th Ward neighbors trapped in the city. 'It's going to be a day to remember,' Kim says excitedly into her new camera as the storm is brewing. It's her first time shooting video and it's rough, jumpy, but dense with reality. Kim's playful home-grown newscast tone grinds against the audience's knowledge that hell is just hours away. There is no way for the audience to warn her. And for New Orleans' poor, there is nowhere to run."

"As the hurricane begins to rage and the floodwaters fill their world and the screen, Kim and her husband Scott continue to film, documenting their harrowing voyage to higher ground and dramatic rescues of friends and neighbors."

I plan to see this film soon!

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:39 AM

SE 2nd St. I-35W underpass

bridge-opens.jpg Today I drove under the re-opened I-35W bridge for the first time. This SE 2nd St. underpass was one of my regular routes before the August 1, 2007 collapse, so I'm happy that it's now back in service.

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:30 PM

watching TV shows on non-TVs

The new season of Supernatural premiered last week. I totally spaced on that, so I had to download "Lazarus Rising" from iTunes later. Watching it on my computer wasn't as bad as I though, maybe because I have a 24 inch screen and a comfy chair. It would have been a much less satisfying experience watching it on my iPhone, though, I think. The only thing I've watched on that was the "Blind Date" episode of Roswell, but I've seen that episode several times and watched it while not having anything better to do at SFO while waiting for a red-eye back to Minneapolis on Labor Day. Watching a new episode of a favorite show on a 3.5 inch screen is another story....

Posted by wrjacobs at 7:44 PM

my first political yard sign

YS26770-2T.jpg

Posted by wrjacobs at 6:48 PM

I-35 bridge to re-open

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune has posted a video about Thursday's re-opening of the I-35W bridge.

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:36 AM

goodbye to a clothing staple

For as long as I can remember I've worn Levi's Silver Tab jeans. Last August, however, they switched the stitch pattern and produced a very crappy fall 2007 line. So I bought stuff from another brand and hoped that the fall 2008 Silver Tab lineup would return to form. A trip to the Levi's store in the Mall of America, however, revealed a shocking development: the Silver Tab line has been discontinued. What the frak?!?!?!

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:45 PM

U of M parking

It seems that the U will sell a parking lot to a student housing developer. I think that the parking lot in question is my lot (C55), one that I waited 6 years to get in, and have only been using for 3 years. Damn!!

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:19 AM

16 Candles

Last night I watched part of the movie Sixteen Candles. I can hardly believe that the movie had an offensively stereotypical Asian character. Even harder to believe: I saw this movie in the theaters when I was 16 years old...and I went to this "chick flick" with a male friend!

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:26 PM

first day of classes

Usually the first day of fall classes is my favorite day of the year. Today was not so hot, though, as (a) it rained all day, (b) I had jet lag from a 12:35->6:15 A.M. red-eye flight from San Francisco, and (b) the New Student Convocation was moved from the first day of classes. Next year will definitely be better!

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:33 PM