a ghost who does not like Christmas trees

In previous entries I've noted ghost activity at my house, most recently in the basement. Yesterday the ghost was active again, as she decided to knock over the Christmas tree. I've never indicated the gender of the ghost before, but I think it's a she, as she waited until after family departed to push the tree over. If it were a male ghost I think he would have done it while we were opening presents (!).

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:44 PM

can't go offline

Yesterday I planned to be offline: no email, World Wide Web browsing, or iPhone use. Alas, when I noticed voicemail waiting indications on both land and cell lines I had to check in, and have been going ever since. If I try to go a day offline again I need to do it on a weekend day....

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:36 PM

25 years of A Christmas Story

Wow, I can't believe that A Christmas Story was released in 1983, 25 years ago! I saw it at the movies with my Dad and brother, and protested the choice (!). Now I watch bits and pieces every year during the annual A Christmas Story marathon, even though I never did get my Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time....

Posted by wrjacobs at 11:20 AM

Transformers at the U's Anderson Hall

IMG_0008.JPG versus IMG_0009.JPG

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:26 AM

first time snow shoveling

My sister-in-law is a California native. She is visiting us in Minnesota for Christmas. This is her first time shovelling snow!

Posted by wrjacobs at 6:42 PM

YouTube and the way we think

Wired magazine has posted an interesting article about changing views about how we can use video to communicate with others and ourselves. Check it out!

Posted by wrjacobs at 5:25 PM

Shovelling snow at night

My brother shovelling snow at the end of his second winter day in Minnesota.

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:52 PM

Keith's first winter day in Minnesota

December 15, 2008, 10:00 AM. The temp: -3 degrees (!)

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:26 PM

BSG webisodes

Tomorrow the Sci Fi network will launch a new 10-part series of Battlestar Galactica webisodes. I've never seen a webisode of anything before, but I'll definitely have to check these out!

Posted by wrjacobs at 7:51 PM

the return of 24

Two weeks after I taped it, I recently watched 24: Redemption, which bridges seasons 6 and 7 of the TV show 24. While it was fun to see Jack Bauer back in action after the 2007-2008 writers' strike delayed season 7 by a year, I found the episode to be just OK, and the trailers for the official season 7 premiere episode did not inspire me to watch. So 24 might drop off of my "must see TV" list. 24 needs another year like season 4!

Posted by wrjacobs at 3:18 PM

online exit row seat selection

In the past, I have written about airline exit row seating. Before departing on the trip home from Thanksgiving 2008 down South I was able to get a free exit row seat during online check-in...only the second time this has ever happened (the first time was on a flight back from San Francisco three years ago). I've got to figure out the trick that allows this to happen....

Posted by wrjacobs at 3:01 PM

December 2008 TV

For the first time ever, I think I'm down to only one active TV show: Dexter, given the recent season finale of True Blood and winter hiatus of Supernatural. Luckily Supernatural starts up again in mid-January 2009, and will be joined by the return of Lost, 24, and Battlestar Galactica(!). So this month I'll have to be content with the final two season 3 episodes of Dexter, and seasons 1 and 2 on DVD of an old favorite show: Dream On.

Posted by wrjacobs at 7:55 PM