Super Bowl ads

OK, it's Super Bowl time again, and I'll be watching the event more for the ads than for the game this year, as I don't love or hate the teams involved. It would be great if Apple updated the classic "1984" ad on its 25th anniversary, even though the spot has haters.

Posted by wrjacobs at 3:10 PM

The Atlantic's "State of the Union"

The January/February 2009 of The Atlantic magazine has several articles on American race relations in the "State of the Union" section:

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:27 PM

Netflix + TiVo

If you have both a netflix account and a TiVo, you can stream movies from your netflix queue to your TiVo. I activated this feature yesterday. While not as high quality as a DVD, the picture looked pretty good.

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:12 PM

a new great statesman?

In the current edition of Reader's Digest is an article called "Memo to the President." I think someone made a mistake when typing up Karl Rove's advice, titled "Encourage Debate":

"A top priority will be to create a White House where forceful argument can take place. Plain speaking, straight talk, and dissent must be encouraged, with participants thoroughly prepared, ideas offered with deference for opposing views, and colleagues not subjected to self-serving leaks. The power of the Oval Office can cower critics and silence disagreement; the chief executive must labor hard to make it a place of vigorous debate."
Huh? This from the man who helped Prez #43 come up with initiatives in a "you're either with us or against us philosophy"?! Luckily, though, the 44th President is inaugurated today, and he holds a very different vision....

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:03 AM

making money on the sly

Big corporations do all sorts of crazy things to squeeze a few bucks out of customers. Take one of my utilities, for example. (This institution shall remain nameless, since they might sue me for libel or defamation [whichever one applies to a corporation vs. an individual])! Recently they changed my account number, which resulted in late fees as my automatic payment through my bank was delayed during processing due to an incorrect account number (!). Now what in the world causes a need for a new account number when no changes have been made, and the customer never had a late payment in 5 years at one address? It's crazy, I tell you!

Posted by wrjacobs at 8:52 AM

MLK Day 2009

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day! Today is doubly significant given tomorrow's historic Presidential Inauguration.

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:54 AM

return of BSG

The second half of the last season of Battlestar Galactica starts tomorrow. In an Atlantic Monthly article, James Parker asks, "Is Battlestar Galactica a great television epic &mdash or proof that there is no such thing?" Isn't the answer obvious, yo?!

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:34 AM

the line between ignorance and hope

In webisode #9 of Battlestar Galactica "The Face of the Enemy" a Number 8 says, "there's a thin line between ignorance and hope." Hhhmmm....

Posted by wrjacobs at 11:55 AM

Blu-Ray movies

On Tuesday I began setting up a new home theater system, one that includes my first Blu-Ray player. The picture on these things is amazing! I still have some fiddling to do on my system settings, though, as a slight echo was produced through half of the screening of Pan's Labyrinth due to TV and receiver speakers being on simultaneously (TV speakers should have been off). Frak!

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:13 PM

2009 New Year's Eve

Happy New Year! Last night I watched the Time Square Ball drop twice, at midnight eastern time, and at midnight central time. Well, technically it only dropped once (second time was on tape), but it was still fun watching it both times....

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:13 PM