Lost, Pop-Up Video style

It appears that repeat episodes of Lost are being broadcast in Pop-Up Video style, as little nuggets of info are displayed at the bottom of the screen. This is OK, but doesn't make the repeats must-see events.

Posted by wrjacobs at 7:38 PM

duplicate fortune cookie messages

I have a Fortune Folio in which I store fortune cookie messages. Today after adding one I thought, "wait, do I have this already?" Sure enough, I added the same fortune a couple of years ago! Is it bad luck when you receive duplicate fortune cookie message, or does that double the chances that it will be realized?

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:10 PM

top 10 TV shows

In the past I've made lists of my top 10 movies. Today I sketched out a top 10 TV list.

Top 5 (no particular order):

Next 5 (also in no specific order):

Posted by wrjacobs at 7:38 PM

The Engines Of Our Ingenuity sponsorship

One of my favorite radio programs is The Engines of Our Ingenuity. For years they were sponsored by BP, "An Energy Company Going Beyond." In the past few weeks, though, the show has opened with "This is the Engines Of Our Ingenuity, made possible by GDF Suez Energy. Rediscovering Energy." That just does not flow like "This is the Engines Of Our Ingenuity, made possible by BP, an Energy Company Going Beyond." Oh well....

Posted by wrjacobs at 3:29 PM

IQD

Happy International Quirkyalone Day!

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:05 AM

Friday the 13th addendum

In addition to getting stuck in a car wash during pre-Friday the 13th hours yesterday [see previous entry], this morning I discovered that the car wash scratched up the car. Frak!

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:31 PM

Friday the 13th came early

Today is Friday the 13th, but it actually arrived for me at 6:45 PM on Thursday the 12th when I entered the car wash at the new Minneapolis Metro Petro. In this car wash you pull in, the garage door closes behind you, and then you enter a code to start the wash. Problem #1: my receipt did not print the code on the bottom. OK, I should have checked it when I got the receipt, but in 10 years of using automated car washes I've never had a receipt that did not have enough space for the car wash code! Problem #2: the door would not open when I tried to back out. Problem #3: the call for help button wasn't working. Problem #4: I entered $5 in dollar bills, but then the machine would not take the remaining $3 I was gonna use in quarters. Problem #5: after I was able to get out when someone else pulled up to use the wash, I went inside and got a new code, but this did not work (!). Luckily one of the workers came in to check on me, and was able to get a third code, which was accepted. Problem #6: I'm still out of $5 I entered in cash. Happy Friday the 13th!

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:15 AM

San Diego beach video

Posted by wrjacobs at 12:19 AM

Entry #500

According to UThink records, this is my 500th blog entry. I must have deleted a few of the earliest ones, though, as the oldest posting includes pictures, and I know that I did something without pictures first! In any event, I'm a bit surprised that I still maintain this blog after 4+ years, as it was supposed to be just a demo for a class assignment. Then again, once something becomes a routine it's easy to keep it going....

Posted by wrjacobs at 12:15 AM

e-boarding passes

bp.gif

Northwest Airlines has a new option: e-boarding passes. Instead of printing out a flight boarding pass, you can have it emailed to your phone, and use that image to check in. I was able to successfully use the e-boarding pass pictured above to get on a plane to San Diego yesterday, but that was after I got off another plane, so I was already in the gate area. I wonder if peeps have problems with e-boarding passes while going through security check-points?

Posted by wrjacobs at 11:24 AM

Ad Bowl 2009

According to the USA Today Ad Meter, two of the top three ads featured the Budweiser Clydesdales. I hated those spots; I'm sick of anthropomorphic Budweiser commercials. They were fun back in the 1990s, but come up with something new, people! (My favorite spots &mdash for Audi and Coke Zero &mdash came in at #12 and #17.)

Posted by wrjacobs at 8:46 AM

XIV years of Super Bowl note taking

Fourteen years ago I started taking notes about Super Bowl commercials. I started teaching in the fall of 1995 so I taped Super Bowl XXIV in case there were some interesting ads I could use, and there was one: a Pizza Hut spot where management of a company sent pizza down to the striking workers in order to get them to the table (!). That year's ads also featured the three Budweiser frogs, and lots of other fun commercials. That was a good Ad Bowl, unlike Ad Bowl 2009....

Posted by wrjacobs at 8:37 AM

Super Bowl Sunday

Happy Super Bowl Sunday!

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:15 AM