Tesla electric car

Electric car manufacturer Tesla recently unveiled its Model S sedan. It lookes great in the first look pictures, so I'll have to go check it out when it hits dealerships in 2011....

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:30 PM

Manny's Tortas

Oh no, one of the Manny's Tortas locations (2700 E. Lake) is now closed! The other two locations are still open, thankfully, but the closed spot was the one I went to 95% of the time. Now I'll have to head over to the Midtown Global Market.

Posted by wrjacobs at 6:24 PM

WorldPerks fees

For years, I've been stockpiling miles in Northwest Airline's WordPerks frequent flier program. I should have used some of these miles earlier, as it seems that there are some new fees associated with redeeming miles. Maybe other crazy fees like proposed European airline toliet use tolls may be the next items to show up on a Northwest bill....

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:26 PM

"The Grass"

The Grass: A Novel: A Young Man's Journey to the Korean War The Grass: A Novel: A Young Man's Journey to the Korean War by Paul Zerby

My review

rating: 5 of 5 stars

I wrote the blurb that appears on the rear cover:

Paul Zerby's The Grass is a vividly engaging rumination on 1950s America, which is more complex than we would like to imagine. Zerby's novel allows us to journey along with young Tom Kelly as he seeks a deeper comprehension of his Catholic upbringing in Fargo, North Dakota. He protests the treatment of the University of Minnesota's lone Black faculty member, agonizes over relationships with very different women, and attempts to survive service in Korean War battles that are "like the Fourth of July in hell." Kelly becomes haunted by ghosts stemming from his decision to stand up to racial injustice, but he never loses his integrity and ability to dream for a better tomorrow. I recommend it highly!

View all my reviews.

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:31 PM

Springing forward 2009

Happy first day of Daylight Saving Time! As usual, I started off the day resetting various time-keeping devices in the house: 8 clocks, 2 thermostats, and 1 VCR/DVD display; car and office clocks are up next. I need to upgrade to devices that automatically reset, like computers and cell phones.

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:10 PM

Kaplan University commercial

Very cool commercial; I saw this for the first time (in a slightly different version) during 24 tonight. Of course, however, I can't advocate for an online university that much!

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:48 PM