Home Tour 2009 wrap up

Minneapolis-St. Paul Home Tour 2009 is now over. I went to a total of 13 (!) homes. The bad thing about this: after seeing home #7 and home #19 I want to hire Otogawa-Anschel Design-Build, LLC to finish our basement...but don't have any $$$ to do this. Frak!

Posted by wrjacobs at 7:42 PM

Minneapolis-St. Paul Home Tour 2009

Our house was on last year's Minneapolis-St. Paul Home Tour (see blog entries for April 25, April 26, and April 27, 2008). Today and tomorrow (April 25-26, 2009) I'll get to go experience other "Real homes. Real people. Real ideas." The 2009 Home Tour is the first big event in the new Live MSP initiative.

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:41 AM

Hannah Montana: The Movie

On Saturday I took my 10 year-old niece to see Hannah Montana: The Movie. Surprisingly, I actually liked it, even though I got a dirty look from a Brotha when we emerged from the theater. He must be one of the haters on the Internet Movie Database: the movie has an average rating of 2.6 (out of 10) there, based on 5481 votes. Over on netflix, on the other hand, the movie has a 4.4 rating (out of 5) from 2789 votes. What gives? Maybe there were two organized ballot-stuffing campaigns: haters were sent to IMDb, fans to netflix?

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:32 PM

Dead Like Me

I loved the Showtime show Dead Like Me. Five years after it was prematurely cancelled, the direct to DVD movie Dead Like Me: Life After Death was released. A movie like this is a perfect example of why netflix needs a 6-star system: it was disappointing in many ways for a fan of the series, but did have a few redeeming touches. I can't say that I liked it, but I can't proclaim to have disliked it either; we need an "it was OK" middle ground.

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:50 PM

electronics surprise 2

Today I found out about the cinemizer, video eyewear that make iPod/iPhone movies appear to be on a screen in front of the viewer. While this sounds like a cool gadget, at $500 I'll pass on it, since I can deal with watching movies on the small screen during the handful of airline flights I take year....

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:36 AM

electronics surprise 1

Yesterday I went to Target to buy blank DVD discs for the first time. On the shelf were DVD+R discs and DVD-R discs. I asked the kid at the desk about the difference. His response: "Not much difference, but some older DVD players won't play the newer DVD+R format." That's pretty much the answer that's posted online on sites like answerbag, so the employee actually knew what he was talking about (!).

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:27 AM

Northern Exposure

One of my favorite TV shows of all time is Northern Exposure. I recently watched seasons 1 and 2 on DVD. There were only 15 episodes total for the first two seasons, vs. 23+ in other years. What was up with that?

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:51 PM