Twitter and marketing

Time.com has posted an interesting article on 10 Ways Twitter Will Change American Business. One thing that is not in there, though, is how a fictional character in a movie may start following you in order to promote the movie, as is the case for Jaime_Hired_Gun. She de-followed me after a week or so when I did not also follow her!

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:32 AM

start of summer

Happy Memorial Day, the unofficial first day of summer, more or less.

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:42 AM

CLA commencement

At this time last week I was attending College of Liberal Arts commencement ceremonies. While the vast majority of graduates were in caps and gowns, a few were not. I remember being told to "show up in your regalia, or stay home" when preparing for my 1990 graduation. Although I usually favor the relaxation of traditional regulations, this is one that needs to be enforced!

Posted by wrjacobs at 3:03 PM

5 and 10 years ago today

On this day 5 years ago (May 23, 2004) I got married in the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden. On this day 10 years ago (May 23, 1999) I was reviewing notes from a research group dinner in the old Bloomington, IN Encore Cafe. I was lucky enough to be able to visit the Encore one last time before it closed in October, 2006. That was a great spot! Tonight we'll make an initial visit to what I hope becomes another favorite: the patio of the W. A. Frost restaurant in St. Paul, MN.

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:39 PM

gas pump texting

It seems that the latest frontier in advertising is a gas station pump, where the screen might display a number to text message in order to receive a coupon. I saw this for the first time yesterday at the Minneapolis Metro Petro. I was in a rush so could not try it, but next time I might give it a shot....

Posted by wrjacobs at 8:16 PM

ghost activity

The ghost who lives in my house is active again: last night she was shining a blinking light in the corner of the bedroom. I saw it on two occassions, but decided to wait 'till the morning to investigate. The only light-emitting object in that corner of the room is a surge protector, but (a) it shines in the other direction, and (b) it doesn't blink. No biggie, since I don't mind the ghost's (infrequent) antics:

• playing with lights in the attic bedroom
  • knocking over Christmas trees
  • leaving a cold spot in the TV room (she stands in the same place to watch TV)
  • opening appliance doors
  • unscrewing kitchen light bulbs

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:59 PM

tenure process analogy

In some ways, achieving tenure is like building a new door to a house: (1) you study an existing door; (2) build a new door that is recognizable as such, but also "improves" on the old door; (3) invite a team of previous door-builders to certify your new door; and (4) convince the team that even though the door might squeek a little bit, it's solidly contructed so it won't collapse anytime soon, and you'll go on to build additional doors in other houses....

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:51 AM

Twitter for Netflix

Wow, there is a way to use Twitter to add movies to a Netflix queue. I might experiment with this, but in the end it won't be very useful to me since if I want to add a movie while on the go I can use PhoneFlix for iPhone. Twitter for Netflix is a great idea, though!

Posted by wrjacobs at 12:00 PM

visit to TCF Bank Stadium

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:44 PM