airline exit row seating

For the second time ever, this morning I was able to select a free exit row seat during online check in. Usually free ones have to be secured at the airport. The flight is only half full, so maybe that's the reason why the exit rows were available for free, as the airline figures that no one will pay for a good seat when there are plenty of aisles and windows available. (I can't remember what the dealeo was when I was able to book the other free exit row seat online a few years back.) Hhhmmm.

Posted by wrjacobs at 5:01 PM

airline bereavement fares

Yesterday I booked a ticket to attend a funeral on Friday. I was shocked that airline bereavement fares were more expensive than regular tickets available online. I should have read an article beforehand on bereavement fare basics that notes that the fares are not always cheaper, but have more flexibility. In the end I just cashed in some frequent flyer miles so everything worked out.

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:42 PM

a mild bus adventure

In December 2005 I posted an entry about calling "Back Do'!" in order to exit the rear door of a bus. Well, kinda: at that time the person said "Back door! Open the back door, please." Today someone came correct on a #16 bus: yelled "Back Do'!" and stared in the driver's direction until the door opened....

Posted by wrjacobs at 5:50 PM

Aquatennial tennis tournament

Today I watched a match in the Aquatennial Plaza Tennis Classic. One of these years I've got try to play in it!

Posted by wrjacobs at 5:43 PM

Black in America 2

CNN will air two new shows in the series Black in America on July 22 and 23, 2009.

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:40 PM

adventures in customer service

Yesterday was an interesting day regarding customer service. First, I sent a Twitter tweet about my Comcast digital voice service not working correctly. A few hours later I received a reply by a Comcast customer service rep with instructions about how to possibly fix the problem. The strange thing is that I did not request assistance, and the rep was not one of my Twitter friends; he was randomly surfing Twitter, or Comcast has some type of web crawler that automatically searches for mentions of Comcast in tweets. I suppose I should be happy about this, but it was weird.

Later in the day I got takeout from D'amico. The cashier asked if I had a takeout punchcard: after 5 entrees the next one is free. I did not even know about this, so it was great to be told about it. Thanks D'amico!

Posted by wrjacobs at 1:43 PM

"Do the Right Thing" parody

Posted by wrjacobs at 12:47 PM

20 years of "Do the Right Thing"

According to the Internet Movie Database, Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing was relased on June 30, 1989. Wow, I can hardly believe that it has been out for 20 years! I can't recall if I saw it in the theaters that summer, but definitely remember a summer 1990 discussion with my Dad and grandfather about why Mookie tossed the garbage can, so at the very least it's been in my life for 19 years. Fight the Power!

Posted by wrjacobs at 12:38 PM

2009 Black Non-theism Conference

The first annual Black Non-Theism Conference will be held August 7-8, 2009, in Atlanta, GA. African American pantheists, deists, agnostics, and atheists will gather to discuss what it means to be an African American non-theist in the United States.

Posted by wrjacobs at 12:41 PM