iPhone adventures

In the surprise event of the month, today I received a new iPhone after taking the old one in for service (!). I went to the Mall of America's Apple Genius Bar after my old phone refused to accept the sync/charge cable until the battery was completely depleted. A slight variation happened a couple of months ago: phone would not charge when the cable was plugged into my Mac, but worked when plugged into the AC power adaptor. The tech dude could not find anything wrong with the phone, but gave me a new one anyway...even though the warranty had just expired!

I had an iPhone 3G, not the newer iPhone 3GS. I thought about asking if I could upgrade at a discount, but decided not to push my luck. I'm not currently eligible for anything other than a full priced 3GS but may look into it when my contract expires in a year. By then maybe a 4G will be out....

The last time I took the phone in for service was after the phone developed a habit of crashing if I plugged in the phone before receiving a "20% battery life remaining" warning. At that visit the guy said that he could not do anything since the diagnostic did not turn up a problem, so I fully expected them not to do anything this time either since the phone was working properly when I brought it in. I even thought about leaving while my appointment time arrived but there were still people in front of me. I'm glad that I was patient!

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:39 PM

bus/train adventures

It was a day for unusual events on Metro Transit today: (1) the White driver of the #16 bus scolded a couple of college-aged Asian women for not standing close enough to the bus stop when he pulled up ("I could have driven right past you. You need to be next to the stop so that the driver can see you."); (2) the driver then scolded the pair for trying to push open the exit door too soon ("this ain't no stop!"); and (3) for the first time in at least two years I got on a light rail train that was boarded by police who checked tickets...this raised my blood pressue a little because I ran to catch the train from the bus, and did not re-swipe my Go-To card. Luckily the police just looked at the card and did not check to see if it had been swiped....

Posted by wrjacobs at 4:27 PM

Gremlins

I think that I have an infestation of gremlins at my house. First, the oven goes out, then a garage door opener quits working, and now my cell phone has problems...and all three things happened this week! Some may have also been in my car, as it has been in the shop for almost 2 weeks (!). Anyone know how to get rid of these little beasties?

Posted by wrjacobs at 12:49 PM

first zipcar reservation

Last night I reserved a zipcar for the first time. It was very easy. I think I'm gonna like this service....

Posted by wrjacobs at 8:44 PM

zipcar

I just signed up for a zipcar Account. I have to wait up to a week for a keycard to arrive before I can start reserving cars, though. Hopefully this will prove to be a great car sharing service....

Posted by wrjacobs at 6:30 PM

sometimes I feel like this

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:43 PM

texting

Last month I sent/received 199 text messages, the most I have ever sent in a billing cycle. My phone plan includes 200 text messages, so I almost hit the target right in the center! Maybe I should think about going to the next level of included texts?

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:19 AM