Nice Ride Minnesota

The Twin Cities now have a bike sharing program: Nice Ride Minnesota. (There is a cool iPhone app for finding nearby bikes.) I just activated a one-year subscription; occassionally I'll use it to quickly get from the University of Minnesota's west bank to the east bank.

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:56 AM

the 13th bleeds into the 14th

As I've noted in the past, strange things usually happen on the 13th day of the month. Yesterday, for example, the house ghost fiddled with my alarm clock: she turned the volume way down and changed the tuner to a spot in between stations, so that (a) I did not hear the alarm this morning, and (b) when I turned up the volume I got a blast of static. In a new twist, the 13th must have lingered today, as when I took loose change from the office to the coin changer at on on-campus bank, the total came to $4.99...but a penny was continually rejected for several minutes (!). Finally, though, the last penny was accepted so that I could leave with a $5 bill instead of a pocket full of change. I guess, then, that the 13th was only partially still in effect....

Posted by wrjacobs at 5:13 PM

cell phone battery

Yesterday I turned on a cell phone that had been sitting in a drawer for two years. Amazingly, it (a bare-bones Nokia) still had a charge! I doubt that I'd be able to say that about my iPhone 2 even two weeks after I upgrade to the iPhone 4 later in the summer....

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:02 PM

last year's trip to Japan

Last year at this time I was in Japan (June 4-12, 2009). Wow, it's hard to believe that this trip was one year ago! I hope to return soon...

Posted by wrjacobs at 2:01 PM