Welcome Week 2010

The University of Minnesota's Welcome Week doesn't officially start until tomorrow, but there are already a number of first year students on campus for other events (such as the Multicultural Kickoff). The new academic year is almost here!

Posted by wrjacobs at 10:03 AM

residency times

From mid-August 1979 to mid-June 1986 I lived in a house in southwest Atlanta, GA. For 2 or 3 summers, though, I stayed with my grandparents in St. Louis, MO. So real time in that house was either 6 years 1 month, or 6 years 4 months (I'm 90% sure that my brother and I spent 3 summers in St. Louis, so it's the former). I've been in my current house for 6 years and 4 months, so I've either tied the record for real time lived in one house, or have exceeded it. They'll be no question about it at this time next month! Also, at the end of the academic year (mid May 2011) I would have lived in my current Minneapolis home for 7 years 1 month, which will exceed the total time (excluding summer breaks) of 6 years 10 months in the "Belfrey Place" house (as I term it in my memoir). My current home, them, is close to being the house in which I've lived the longest. Nice!

Posted by wrjacobs at 6:07 PM

visit to a planetarium

On August 12 I visited the Morehead Planetarium. It was the first time I'd been to a planetarium since I was a teenager. It was fun seeing two modern digital shows, but I also wanted to see an old-fashioned star show. Morehead only offers that once a week, and I had a conflict for that time, so I'll have to go back on my next trip to Chapel Hill....

Posted by wrjacobs at 9:55 AM