This course has ended...

This blog is a course blog for AFRO/GWSS Digital Storytelling at the University of Minnesota, Spring 2011.

Please feel free to browse the site, and remember blogs happen in reverse chronology, so if you want to start at the beginning, click HERE, or browse the links on the right-hand sidebar.

Course summary:

Storytelling is a tool for preserving memory, writing history, learning, entertaining, organizing, and healing. Digital stories are short, first person video-narratives created by combining recorded voice, still and moving images, and music or other sounds. Digital storytellers are those who have a desire to document life experience, ideas, or feelings through the use of story and digital media. In this course students learned how to make digital stories and become digital storytellers. Our specific focus was to construct stories about "sociological ghosts," the strong but usually invisible and unexamined forces in our lives that limit our thoughts and actions; students engaged their sociological ghosts in order to remix identities, construct new meanings, and expand connections with others and the world. Students also produced a digital story on "My Place at the University of Minnesota," and a third project was either another digital story or a group mini-documentary.

Ghost Story

This video was created for the digital storytelling class taught by Walt Jacobs. :)

BLINK Mobile Media Challenge

blinksm.jpg

Click on the above flyer for info about the 2011 BLINK Mobile Media Challenge.

Somali Online Media Representation

african american Identity

Junk

Final Story

ZK

The Process

Sheeko Project

A group of University of Minnesota students get together to document the oral histories of young Minnesota Somalis. The group conducted more than 20 interviews since January, which are expected to be featured in the Immigration History Research Center in UofM's Andersen Library. University Report's Ibrahim Hirsi has more on the story.

The Real Cedar-Riverside

This video is attempting to show viewers the 'real Cedar-Riverside'. Often times this neighborhood is portrayed in a negative life. Here we provide a tour of the neighborhood and in all of its glory. We challenge the problematic framing of this beautiful area.

The girl with the Sun tattoo

Enjoy!

Bri's Final Project

Four Mornings

Charles' ghost story

shanon's Ghost story

Sociological Ghosts

My Confession

Identity Crisis

The story of one man trapped in many identities and endless searching for true identity. One man with many faces and identities.

Recent Comments

• muss0086: The identity issues almost always raise different questions depending on read more
  • jumal002: I like how you flight against the media's representation of read more
  • wilh0033: Ibrahim, Great digital story! I really liked the documentary approach read more
  • wilh0033: I thought this was a great video because it was read more
  • wilh0033: I liked your story. It hit home for me since read more
  • tollm004: I really liked your story amy. Like Zeina said memories read more
  • tollm004: This story was so entertaining, it was wonderful. I really read more
  • tollm004: This was an amazing video. This definitely showed the positive read more
  • diri0010: I really understood where you were coming from. I myself read more
  • mon_ami_Amy: I really like how you called people's misunderstandings into question. read more

Recent Assets

• blinksm.jpg
  • 5004_1237349615220_1273620956_31310554_4547246_n.jpg
  • edatu uofm.jpg
  • diriye.jpg
  • IMG_2316.JPG
  • IMG_0114.JPG
  • etc3.jpg
  • etc2.jpg
  • fran weddingbacholrette 048.JPG
  • Fall 2010 114.JPG