Gaming

Games...

Gaming in the classrooms?  I have always thought that video games and school should not cross.  In this new age, I think children spend more time on game than ever before due to the new additions/creations.  My experiences with game playing didn't really start until my adolescent years.  I can say now that I do engage in a good amount of game time.  Regardless, I never tried to associate the two. 

Reading the articles, I realized there is more to game play than what I initially thought.  I think there is a hidden agenda for learning, even though it was not always evident.  I recently observed this with my nephew, a second grader who spends more time playing Call of Duty (COD) more than doing his homework.  I realized his reading skills and writing skills improved dramatically.  He plays the game online with his PS3, which always associated with sending messages to invite friends to join him.  From an outsider's standpoint, I thought it was very helpful for him because even though he wasn't doing his homework (usually reading), he was doing it while playing his favorite game, although I feel the game is not appropriate for him. 

How can we integrate game playing in school? Honestly, I don't know.  This understanding that game playing does teach students is still new to me.  I think with more research, teachers can manipulate their lessons to relate to the topic of games.  I think the real question, though, is how can we keep our students participating without boring them?  Can we associate their favorite games into our lessons?  This seems very controversial to me, because many games are in genres where it shouldn't be related to school (i.e. violence). 

As a woman and a game player, I do believe that the gaming world has failed to create avatars that I can relate to.  I do agree with the idea that some people create their avatars according to how they want to be perceived (although I don't do this because the games that I play either has no avatar or the avatars are men).  I think that female avatars are portrayed to be something that most women cannot relate to.  In other words, there is too much emphasis on certain parts of the female identity that does not relate to the avatar characters in the games.  Due to this, it's harder for girls to be involve with the gaming.  I think this is why girls are stereotyped to be non-gamers.  My all-time question is: if girls aren't game players, and game players receive fun learning from playing games, then how do girls learn outside of schools, or are they not learning?

This page contains a single entry by Mai Yer published on October 8, 2009 1:42 PM.

Response to articles-(mall experience) was the previous entry in this blog.

CPAs is the next entry in this blog.