Kiosk

I haven't had a chance to check out the kiosk machine down in the Campus Center Wedge but I often use the self-check out at Cub food stores. I really enjoy checking out my own items and I think there are still many things that need to be done in order to satisfy the customers. The biggest problems that frustrate customers are the weigh scale, searching for items from the list, what need to be scan for price, etc. I have the most problem when putting the items onto the scale because I think customers are given a certain amount of time to put the item on the scale otherwise an error will pop up. And also when you remove the items off the scale before you are done scan all your items. Sometimes, searching for items or products from the display screen could create a big problems to customers who have no idea where to find the items or don't know what the item is called. lastly, not all items are display on the display screen, some items have to be scan. There are customers who have no idea what the bar codes are used for.

Blog about a Kiosk you have found... What do you think about it? Pros and Cons?

Study User-Centered Design

Care.org
Non-profit organization

Questions:
• What is the site?
• What is the information that is portrays?
• What can you do with this site?
• What are your thoughts on color usage?
• Where is the navigation?
• Where is the search box?
• How do you e-mail a page?
• What type of an organization is CARE?

Simple Tasks:
• Job or internship
• Find annual 1998 report
• Find Care International Officers
• Purchase a carewear infant creeper
• Find and watch Keynote Address by Sen. Barack Obama

Brief Summary:
• Three out of three users understand what the graphic interface before interacting with the website.
• Two out three users could performed the tasks based on the questions generated by facilitator and observer.
• The major obstacles were understanding where to find the information. Some section titles were misleading (i.e. "web features" and "carewear").
• One user used the search box, but didn't see his desired result at the top of the list. Failed to link jobs with careers.
• Our tasks might have been too specific. Given enough time, each user could "muddle through" to complete task.

Recommendations for a More Effective Interface:
• Use larger texts (can be user controlled)
• User brighter color background
• Make section titles clearer
• Alter front page
• More obvious links

Analyzed Online Game

After playing couple games from shockwave.com, I think that the navigations are pretty simple to play. Audiences basically use the left-right and up-down bottons to control the games. One of the issues that I have was the pop-ups from the websites, I just think they are kind of annoying when you are waiting for the game to load.