10/28/11

10/21/11
Leadership is the ability to gather people with different skills, making them work in a cooperated way, leading them towards a shared goal. But most importantly, leadership is the ability to decide and initiate.

10/28/11
Leadership is the ability to gather people with different skills, engaging them to work in a cooperated way to deliver the wanted result towards the beneficial goal and ultimately always having the confidence to step up and initiate. However, a leader must have flexibility to observe the team in a third person view.

This week was very interesting and enjoyable. We finally got into our groups. It seems like teams are beginning to get to know each other better. And learning about Jeff and Brian's Leadership Journey made us stronger as a community. This week, we had a reading about "getting on the balcony." I didn't really get what the articles meant until today during class when Leonardo volunteered to lead an activity. Although Leonardo tried his best to make the activity work in a short amount of time, it didn't quite succeed. It was mainly because everyone only cared and thought about his or her task. If we had gotten on the balcony and looked at the situation from a third person perspective, without panicking, we could have completed the task much easily. However, we were all on the dance floor together, so we only saw things through our own eyes. I think this reading really exemplified that although it is important to be part of the group, sometimes it is crucial to be someone outside the group to know what the group seems like from other perspectives.

Reference: Heifetz, R. A., & Linsky, M. (2002). "Get on the balcony." Leadership on the Line: Staying alive through the dangers of leading (pp. 51 - 74). Boston:Harvard Business School Press.

10/21/11

My internet was not connected to U of M secure, so I could not log onto this blog. So I emailed my definition to Jeff. But here is my definition from last week.

10/14/11
Leadership is the ability to look for people with different skills and strengths, engaging them to work in a collaborative and cooperative way to deliver the wanted result towards the "big picture" and ultimately bringing positive change for the betterment of others, the community and society.

10/21/11

I think my definition is getting more developed and improved every week. But every week, I was forgetting a crucial part of the definition. I didn't realize how important it is to initiate and engage people in a work as a leader until this week. This week I became a person in charge of making a team. I, honestly, think that I had some good ideas how to generate good working team. However, I was not good at initiating. I made plans of what to do in class, but I didn't know how long it would take, and how it would go. I should have contacted others through e-mails, but I had too much stuff and even when I had time, I got lazy. The first day I was supposed to make a team, I did my best to lead the discussion. However, there were too little time for my disorganized ideas. And when I didn't finish the team making process, I was given more days to think about the process. However, I didn't contact anyone even my first attempt failed. Today, the attempt was better than last time, but it was still not great. Time managing was a problem, and initiating again became a problem. Although I was the leader for today, Briana and Jon stood up and led the group. I felt powerless. And Jon told me that maybe I should've pre-made the team before I came to class because sometimes leaders have to "just do it" and make decisions. I think that's what I was lacking and what my definition was lacking. Therefore, a leader must be initiating and decisive.

10/14/11

9/30/11
Leadership is the ability to look for people that can do various tasks and engaging them to work in a complementary fashion to deliver the wanted result towards a vision shaped by the leader.

10/14/11

This week was one of the most insightful week so far in EDPA 1301W/ PA 1961W. First of all, the Leadership Journey Presentation ended and through it, I got to learn more about my community. I learned that there are so many people that have gone through struggles that I can never imagine going through without breaking down. But, these people all succeeded without falling down and learned lifelong lessons. Also, the debriefing today made us feel more as a community. Although not many people participated or spoke out at the debriefing today, I could definitely know that everyone was touched in some ways. Then reading "A Social Change Model of Leadership Development" helped me refine my definition. It described a team as music. In music, there are melodies, harmonies and other accompaniment. This analogy made a lot of sense to me. It is, indeed, crucial in a team to have a common purpose, technical competence, self-knowledge and such. And most importantly a team must have "the big picture" or the shared dreams of their own. And most importantly, I learned that in leadership, it is crucial to bring a positive change. The word "positive" is extremely important because it implies that the change be beneficial not only to the team, but also to the group and the society in the end.

Reference: Astin, H. S., & Astin, A. W. (1996). A social change model of leadership development: Guidebook (version III) (pp.4 - 27). Los Angeles: University of California Los Angeles Higher Education Research Institute.

9/30/11

9/24/11
Leadership is the ability to look for variety of people that can do specific tasks and engaging them to work in a cooperative and complementary fashion to deliver the wanted result towards a shared dream.

9/30/11

The definition did not change too much from last week again, particularly because we didn't focus too much on the definitions on leadership. Instead we focused on leadership journey presentations of our community. However, through presentations, I gained more perspectives and insights on various definitions of leadership. And from one of our readings, I was inspired by a saying that goes, "people will follow the fellow that follows the dream." So I decided to put the importance on "vision" and "dream." Without the dream, a leader will not be able to have any followers. And without any followers, there cannot be a team to achieve that goal.

Reference: Leadership Journey Presentation

9/24/11

9/15/11
Leadership is the ability to bring people from different backgrounds and groups into a purposeful team by engaging them to work in a cooperative fashion to deliver the wanted result towards a shared dream.

9/24/11

This week's definition did not change too much from last week. But I have learned significantly from this week's discussions. As we started doing Strengths Finder Assessment, we learned more about our top five talents that we can turn into strengths. Before the poewrpoint presentation of Brian, I thought that we should focus more on weaknesses so that we will become all-rounded in many areas. However, I realized that we should focus on our strengths more, so we can make a team that can supplement each other. In fact, according to "Understanding Why People Follow," "leaders stay true to who they are - and then make sure they have the right people around them." It is crucial for leaders to pick people that will complement and supplement their strengths and weaknesses. A team should be rounded, not individuals.

Reference: Rath, T. and Conchie, B. (2009). Strengths-based Leadership: Great teams, leaders, and why people follow. "Understanding why people follow" (pp.79 - 91) Gallup Press: Washington, D.C.

9/15/11

9/07/11
Leadership is the ability to create harmony among the unrelated by finding the common ground and forcing that newfound commonality to achieve a mutual goal.

9/15/11

The five minute inspirational video from ted.com talking about how leadership requires followers and "Deciding What You Believe" by Robert Terry made me change my definition this week. The video we watched in class made me realize that leadership without followers is like a classroom without any students. Surely a classroom is necessary to educate the public, but without students, a classroom is nothing more than an empty room. This made me acknowledge leadership as a gathering of people, not just finding harmony among people because harmony cannot be found if the process of the gathering does not exist. Next, the article I read made me realize that vision and engagement are crucial in a working team. Therefore, I decided to put these words on my definition. As I read more and more articles such as "How Good People Make Tough Choices," and "The Leadership Repertoire" taught me that being a leader is extremely difficult because one has to make decisions between right versus right situations by using several different leadership styles.

Reference: Terry, R. (2001). "Deciding what you believe." Seven zones for leadership: Acting authentically in stability and chaos (pp. 20 - 40). Mountain View, CA: Davies- Black Publishing, Inc.

9/07/11

Recent Comments

• timm0080: Those were some good insights into your eventful week. I read more
  • timm0080: Great. read more
  • timm0080: Excellent reflection! read more
  • timm0080: Great first post John. Harmony, common ground and a mutual read more